How to increase the life of a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Mar 22, 2007
How long a battery can be kept under charging?What is the difference between ordinary charging and booster charger?How to increase the life of a battery?

hobbybuilder

Joined Mar 24, 2007
Hello 6860, I have just had the same question setting up an alarm that needs to deliver 10 Amps at 12V, independent from mains power. Now as I understand, quick-charging (booster-charging) a battery, i.e. applying a high amperage during the charging process, will reduce the life of the battery. Trickle-charging (ordinary charging), on the other hand, i.e. applying a very low amperage over a longer period of time, will enhance battery life. Now an ordinary charger (trickle charger) monitors the voltage of the battery, and when the target voltage is reached, switches off automatically. If the voltage drops under the target voltage, the charge delivers power again. So a trickle charge is more than just a transformer, it senses the volage and switches on or off accordingly. That's how I understand it anyway. Hope that helps.

Joined Mar 22, 2007
thanks for your replies.what i mean is a 12 volt battery used in the heavy equipments or heavy vehicals has to be maintained for its reliability.what actions can be taken to maintain that?please list out.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Most lead acids don't like being kept in a float charge state indefinately.
Nor do they like being over charged, nor do they like being left in a near flattened condition.
They are a few multistage chargers out there that monitor the battery voltage and adjust the charge conditions to suit.
Cyclic chargers switch off the charge when a voltage between 13.5 - 14 volts (depending on Batt and app) is reached at the terminals. Most of these resume charging when the voltage drops below 12.5 or so... again depending on design. These are useful for standby batterys as used in alarms and emergency apps.

tesla0157

Joined Aug 6, 2015
thanks for your replies.what i mean is a 12 volt battery used in the heavy equipments or heavy vehicals has to be maintained for its reliability.what actions can be taken to maintain that?please list out.
(de something?????? cannot remember the name of this water) water would help to mantain battery life where it would not get hot ******but not regular drinking water**** it has clorine in it. also you can clean out with allum and magnesium if battery gives problem (you tube) uses this to regenerate a battery $5.00 repair . as far as maintance on heavy equipment if it does not perform, it is gone and another is replaced. i was a service man on hvy eq

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
(de something?????? cannot remember the name of this water) water would help to mantain battery life where it would not get hot ******but not regular drinking water**** it has clorine in it. also you can clean out with allum and magnesium if battery gives problem (you tube) uses this to regenerate a battery $5.00 repair . as far as maintance on heavy equipment if it does not perform, it is gone and another is replaced. i was a service man on hvy eq
8 years later! what took you so long?

Last edited:

tesla0157

Joined Aug 6, 2015
check (youtube) (5.00 battery repair ) it can be used with the allum and magnisum and it will work. I would use this to clean battery and wash out many times . Put in new acid and water this will rejuvinate the battery.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@tesla0157
The important message for you is that very old conversations generally do not benefit from your input because the original participant probably will not see your work. This site does not strive to be an all encompassing encyclopedia so much as it strives to serve people with specific questions. As a general method, working with only the Threads active in the last few days is practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.