How to get a low voltage signal when on

Cbass37

Joined May 19, 2020
Hello, at my place of work we have some shapers and feeders for them, a common issue we have is we do not always remember to turn the feeders off and they get left on over night and are very hot to the touch in the morning. I was wondering if anybody could help me find what I need to get a low voltage signal from the feeders when they are on to allow for a power on light to help reduce the chance of overheating them and starting a fire.
They are 220v, each with there own lines to the circuit breaker. The internal componentS on the feeders themselves are all high voltage with only a variable speed switch.
My first idea was to modify a 220 v auto vacuum switch and take out the signal to its relay, but I have been unable to find a switch that is 220v

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello, at my place of work we have some shapers and feeders for them, a common issue we have is we do not always remember to turn the feeders off and they get left on over night and are very hot to the touch in the morning. I was wondering if anybody could help me find what I need to get a low voltage signal from the feeders when they are on to allow for a power on light to help reduce the chance of overheating them and starting a fire.
They are 220v, each with there own lines to the circuit breaker. The internal componentS on the feeders themselves are all high voltage with only a variable speed switch.
My first idea was to modify a 220 v auto vacuum switch and take out the signal to its relay, but I have been unable to find a switch that is 220v
If they normally operate on a fixed schedule, just have a timer cut the power at the appropriate time. So turn it on and off manually and have a timer be the fail-safe.

Cbass37

Joined May 19, 2020
If they normally operate on a fixed schedule, just have a timer cut the power at the appropriate time. So turn it on and off manually and have a timer be the fail-safe.
That sounds perfect! Would you by chance know what I could research to find something like that? all I could find was timers that turn on and off automatically.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I made pump on indicators for a customer some years ago. They were small current transformers, driving a bridge W04 rectifier, a resistor and high intensity LED.
These worked very well. Just feed a current carrying wire through the current transformer, and that is it.