How to Generate a Tri-level signal. ..#2

seajayshore

Joined Mar 14, 2016
Hey great thread. I'm just wondering how well your solution worked in the end? Did you manage to feel tri-level sync to the camera you were using OK?

I'm working on a very similar project where I'm trying to make a custom tri-level sync generator to feed a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera which accepts sync on a little expansion port.

For what it's worth I actually took apart a Blackmagic "mini converter sync generator" to see how it worked. It seems their approach is to use a component HD video encoder (specifically the ADV7393) to output a Y/Luma signal that contains the sync pulse already - presumably they just output a test-pattern as this chip is able to do that.

Copying this approach is more code than I hoped so I've been trying to find other solutions which is how i've stumbled on this thread.

Mod: link to old Thread.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-to-generate-a-tri-level-signal.163522

Last edited by a moderator:

lindula

Joined Sep 23, 2016
Hey great thread. I'm just wondering how well your solution worked in the end? Did you manage to feel tri-level sync to the camera you were using OK?

I'm working on a very similar project where I'm trying to make a custom tri-level sync generator to feed a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera which accepts sync on a little expansion port.

For what it's worth I actually took apart a Blackmagic "mini converter sync generator" to see how it worked. It seems their approach is to use a component HD video encoder (specifically the ADV7393) to output a Y/Luma signal that contains the sync pulse already - presumably they just output a test-pattern as this chip is able to do that.

Copying this approach is more code than I hoped so I've been trying to find other solutions which is how i've stumbled on this thread.

Mod: link to old Thread.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-to-generate-a-tri-level-signal.163522
Hello, I have not implemented this circuit yet. I ran out of funds. I will remember to let you know when I have implemented it.
Respectfully,
Joe