How to Format computer.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello,
I have never format computer to drive O.S. IN IT.
please tell for window 7 and XP
  1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc and then shut down your computer.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
  1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc and then shut down your computer.
You're Microsoft tech support, aren't you? :D

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
When my W10 upgrade on top of W7 went tits-up, it wouldn't repair and refused to do a clean install either.

In the end, I used Acronis utils to delete the partition and installed Linux Mint to overwrite everything.

Deleting the Mint partitions was even more fun, I had to use the Acronis add drive util, but was then able to do a clean, ground-up install of W10.

Whenever the PC has that much upheaval - its time to implement a boot drive for the OS and another drive for storing everything else.

When it became obvious that I'd have to clean the boot drive, I just unplugged all the other drives with my files on them until the PC was back up and running again.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I still use an old DOS program I found some time ago called "Overkill". When ran from a boot CD it will return any hard drive to an as-shipped state ready to partition and format. Just don't try to run it off a boot USB drive, it will kill the USB drive, also make sure only 1 hard drive is installed in the computer.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I still use an old DOS program I found some time ago called "Overkill". When ran from a boot CD it will return any hard drive to an as-shipped state ready to partition and format. Just don't try to run it off a boot USB drive, it will kill the USB drive, also make sure only 1 hard drive is installed in the computer.
All I can find on that search is gaming software.

As I put the OS on one HDD and everything else on another - that would be perfect for me.

Its a long time since I played with any DOS utils - how do you make a DOS boot CD?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
All I can find on that search is gaming software.

As I put the OS on one HDD and everything else on another - that would be perfect for me.

Its a long time since I played with any DOS utils - how do you make a DOS boot CD?
Give me a little time to decide the best way to get you the files and I will make it easy for you. In the interim search for and download Magic ISO.

Better yet, download and make yourself a boot cd from this web site.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It will have hard drive utilities that will get you where you need plus several other useful utilities for Windows.

I buy allot of computers for Kiosks and have to change the OS to Windows embedded. Booting to a DOS CD and running overkill is allot faster than using the UBCD but it is dangerous.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Give me a little time to decide the best way to get you the files and I will make it easy for you. In the interim search for and download Magic ISO.

Better yet, download and make yourself a boot cd from this web site.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It will have hard drive utilities that will get you where you need plus several other useful utilities for Windows.

I buy allot of computers for Kiosks and have to change the OS to Windows embedded. Booting to a DOS CD and running overkill is allot faster than using the UBCD but it is dangerous.
Can't see the wood for the trees on the UBCD download site.

Its so cluttered with adverts I can't find the download link.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I use Dos 7.1 .ISO for that, I think it is still available out there, it has extra features such as unlimited file name length etc, It is not sanctioned by Windows, but I believe ripped from Win 98/XP.
Max.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Get Gparted ISO from a Linux site.
Load it on a Penstick or a CD
Boot off that and you can do Format / Partition / Copy ....... your Hard Disk