How to drive this motor by Arduino

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
The servo motor from a Robot CoverSlipping Machine because it not working well.
My question:
1. what's the easy way to drive it;
2. what's the easy way to drive it by Arduino Uno;
3. why it used a capacitor of 3 uf 220V, I mean does servo motor need a capacitor?
Thanks
Adam

post23.jpgpost24.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it is a PSC motor, where both windings are identical, then all that is needed to reverse is a SPDT SW with centre off, you could also do it with a SPDT relay, but a means of OFF would be needed also.
Generally a Triac based control is used.
I doubt if a fraction of the electronics shown were to control the motor.
Not sure what that sensor? is on the back of the motor, only two leads?
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You might find this useful: ITEM # RHT6P4N-25, RHT SERIES REVERSIBLE MOTOR WITH TACHOGENERATOR & SPEED CONTROL. It seems to cover your motor as used with a controller.
"This is a kind of capacitor-run type single-phase induction motor, and three voltage ratings, 100V, 115V and 200V, are available. This motor is designed to be used for repeated rotation reverses, start and stop as required in the operation of automatic doors, lifts, etc".
You appear to have the 100 volt flavor.

Ron

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
If it is a PSC motor, where both windings are identical, then all that is needed to reverse is a SPDT SW with centre off, you could also do it with a SPDT relay, but a means of OFF would be needed also.
Generally a Triac based control is used.
I doubt if a fraction of the electronics shown were to control the motor.
Not sure what that sensor? is on the back of the motor, only two leads?
Max.
Thanks.
I'll try it by relay first.
The PCB I shown in #3 is the control unit for the whole machine, the motor is connected to it. there may be a little section used for the motor.
The little thing in the back of the motor has two gray wires which I think may be a Tachometer?
Best

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The labe tells us what it is: It is indeed a reversible induction motor with a 3 microfarad capacitor phase shifter. Mains neutral would tie to the white wire, and then the line voltage will connect to one of tjhe motor wires tjhat go to the capacitor ends. Which end defines which direction it rotates.
The alternative to using the capacitor to make it run is a fairly complicated bunch of electronics that require a power supply and an analog control signal.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Password and authentication needed for the link?
The only other motor it could be is a mains operated stepper motor, (Synchronous).
But this would not require any electronics.
Max.
What the? There was a PDF there. I see what I did, I started here:

https://www.thomasnet.com/catalogs/...ible-motor-with-tachogenerator-speed-control/

Then actually downloaded the .pdf as seen in the link and linked it to myself. Go figure. The above link should have a download link to a .pdf which has a few illustrations.

Ron

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
The labe tells us what it is: It is indeed a reversible induction motor with a 3 microfarad capacitor phase shifter. Mains neutral would tie to the white wire, and then the line voltage will connect to one of tjhe motor wires tjhat go to the capacitor ends. Which end defines which direction it rotates.
The alternative to using the capacitor to make it run is a fairly complicated bunch of electronics that require a power supply and an analog control signal.
Thanks,
I was thinking it is a servo motor cause of the "JAPAN SERVO".
The little attached in the end of the motor with two wires, that measured not through. if it is a Tachometer, how to wiring it to Arduino?
The two wires from the Tachometer (if it is) measured a ~100mv at the power on and power off moment. BTW, the motor runs well now.

I attached a drawing from :
http://catalog.e-jpc.com/item/rever...-with-tachogenerator-speed-control/rht6p4n-25

is it possible to figure out if it is a Tachometer?

Best

post25.jpg

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is the controller shown in the drawings:

http://catalog.e-jpc.com/item/all-categories/hc-series-controller-unit/hc-60za-25

There is also an additional drawing:

http://catalog.e-jpc.com/Asset/HRSC-Series-Controller-Unit.jpg

All I see mention of is tachometer output and while we know it's the gray wires we don't know what the actual signal out is. Since it is just two wires and they are both the same color it likely could be an AC signal but unless what it is is known it's impossible to suggest any signal conditioning to get it to where and Arduino or any uC can read it. A scope would be nice to have about now.

Ron

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
This is the controller shown in the drawings:

http://catalog.e-jpc.com/item/all-categories/hc-series-controller-unit/hc-60za-25

There is also an additional drawing:

http://catalog.e-jpc.com/Asset/HRSC-Series-Controller-Unit.jpg

All I see mention of is tachometer output and while we know it's the gray wires we don't know what the actual signal out is. Since it is just two wires and they are both the same color it likely could be an AC signal but unless what it is is known it's impossible to suggest any signal conditioning to get it to where and Arduino or any uC can read it. A scope would be nice to have about now.

Ron
Thanks.
I measured again when the motor runs, the two gray wires output a stable AC 30 V. The last measurement is DC ~100mv guess it was wrong.
Best

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor resembles both a PSC AC induction motor and a Synchronous AC stepper motor, the difference can easily be determined but spinning the shaft, the Induction motor will spin free, the stepper will present 'bumps' as it is turned.
Both of which only require a mains AC supply to operate.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can try measuring the voltage on those two gray wires while manually spinning the motor by hand, or wih a variable speed drill motor. Because they are the same color it must be an AC tach generator.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
The motor resembles both a PSC AC induction motor and a Synchronous AC stepper motor, the difference can easily be determined but spinning the shaft, the Induction motor will spin free, the stepper will present 'bumps' as it is turned.
Both of which only require a mains AC supply to operate.
Max.
Thanks for the further information.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You can try measuring the voltage on those two gray wires while manually spinning the motor by hand, or wih a variable speed drill motor. Because they are the same color it must be an AC tach generator.
Thanks.
Yes, you are right. I measured the AC tach generator output by manually spinning the motor got 2-5 Vac, and ~14Vac by a drill spinning.

Its kind of funny, there are three of this kind motors in the machine, only one's AC tach generator's wire lead out some where, another one has just one wire out, and another one's two wires just short.
any special use of the AC tach generator?

BTW. what's the name of the connector attached please?

Best

post26.JPG

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If there is no control of the motor, the tach would just be used for a rpm indication, IOW, not used in a controlled loop.
A tach cannot be used for position indication like an encoder can, just rpm rate.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The connectors in the photos do have actual names, but for a while they were referred to as Molex connectors, because they were made by the molex company.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
If there is no control of the motor, the tach would just be used for a rpm indication, IOW, not used in a controlled loop.
A tach cannot be used for position indication like an encoder can, just rpm rate.
Max.
Thanks.
There are many sensors for the location detect.
Best