How to design modular products?

Lenovo

Joined Dec 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

We'd make a variety of products, but then sales ran into a major problems. With a simple change, the total product was changed.

Indeed! I do not know electronics. I am the project manager of electronic products.

We want to design central device with several module (like GSM, time, Serial Port and etc.)

What are your suggestions or advice as I can I manage the following items?

- A change in one module does not require changes in the other components. (For example, by changing or adding detection module temperature sensor, you do not have to change the central device.)

- By outsourcing modules to various contractors, to avoid disruption of the project. And not have to give up the whole project to one contractor.

Thank you for your help already.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I did design exact what you want.
The PCB and basic software is available.
Current products build from it:
Alarm system with GPS and GSM output SMS/E-mail/ftp and keep alive.
AIS distance filter.
look at "I do need a cheap 12V dc async ascii printer (ttl or rs232/485/422)." at the project forum for photo.
it allows to add modules like temperture/current/ voltage / freqmeters etc.

Attachments

Lenovo

Joined Dec 12, 2015
thanks for your answer.
I want to build a device and every year build and sell separate modules for it.
do you have plan or best practice to avoid total change in central device. and any module work stand alone with central device?
Suppose each module writes and makes by several person .

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I do not know electronics. I am the project manager of electronic products.
Do you at least have some underlings to ask these questions? Is a hobbyist forum really your #1 resource, your hope of success? Because if so, failure is almost guaranteed.

You and your company would both be best served by replacing you, and whoever hired you, with people who know what they are doing. You will be expected to do things you are incapable of, and then you will be held accountable for inability to perform the task you are paid to perform. You will be released from your position on less than good terms. It would be better for you (you could at least remain employed, or leave with good references) if you would step down and cede your position to a more qualified person.

You will not find the level of help here that will keep your job afloat. If you are unwilling to cede your position, then the best you could do is use your positional power to hire an underling with greater knowledge and skill than your own, and take credit for his genius. That will at least prolong your job, but inevitably that underling will displace you.