How to build a simple volume and mute controller?

LightSoul94

Joined Oct 15, 2017
Hi everybody,
I searched for a device witch can regulate volume level and mute the source with 4 XLR connector ports.
I didn't found nothing... so I decided to build it by my self, It would be my first audio control device.

His first purpouse is to control 4 speakers, this prototype will be placed beetwen mixer output and speakers.

PS: I forgot to specify pot resistance on my sketch. It is 100Kohm

I maked a little sketch:

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The left pin is the ground
The center pin is signal
the right pin is power
Are you sure about that? This is how an XLR connector usually is wired:
1 - Ground
2 - balanced audio in-phase signal
3 - balanced audio out-of-phase signal

In this case, your circuit in post #1 will work as shown - IF - the source of the audio signal has a typical output impedance of 600 ohms or more. This is important because both the potentiometer and the switch can put a dead short across the audio signals, and this can damage the parts that are driving your circuit.

Also, is you circuit between the mixer and the speaker, or the mixer and the speaker amplifier?

Where are you located?

ak

LightSoul94

Joined Oct 15, 2017
Are you sure about that? This is how an XLR connector usually is wired:
1 - Ground
2 - balanced audio in-phase signal
3 - balanced audio out-of-phase signal

In this case, your circuit in post #1 will work as shown - IF - the source of the audio signal has a typical output impedance of 600 ohms or more. This is important because both the potentiometer and the switch can put a dead short across the audio signals, and this can damage the parts that are driving your circuit.

Also, is you circuit between the mixer and the speaker, or the mixer and the speaker amplifier?

Where are you located?

ak
The mixer L/R output goes to L/R input od the prototype... Unfortunatly, i just know that my mixer has hight impedance. Then the signal regulated goes to the speaker (the speaker is a paevey 800W Active)