How to add a pulsed switch in cadence?

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Hello folks,
i was wondering if in the cadence lib any components that works as a pulsed switch where i can set the frequency of it. I know that i can do that with voltage source but i need to put a switch in a circuit to realize this frequency. Thanks

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Not familiar with cadence, but I'm guessing it offers voltage controlled switches, so worst case scenario is using one of those with the pulsed voltage source you already know how to create. That's what I do in LTspice.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
You said you wanted a pulsed switch, right? So, use a pulsed voltage to control a switch, and now you've got a pulsed switch. If you use a dc voltage to control a switch, the switch will never change states.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here. In the voltage controlled switches I'm referring to, there are two sets of voltages in play: the control voltage determines when the switch opens and closes, and it should be pulsing if you want the switch to be opening and closing. The voltage that is being switched can be absolutely anything - DC, sine waves, pulse trains, whatever you want.

Again, my experience is in LTspice, not cadence, but it seems likely that there are similar options there, though perhaps with different names.

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
oh yes there was a misunderstanding in that, i got it now, i was hoping to know what's the name of it in cadence though. Thanks for your help

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
oh yes there was a misunderstanding in that, i got it now, i was hoping to know what's the name of it in cadence though. Thanks for your help
It looks like there's a device that's simply called "switch" within analogLib which should do what you want. You set the voltage levels which open and close the switch (presumably two separate thresholds so that you can have hysteresis in the switching behavior) in the switch parameters, then you feed it with a control voltage to tell it when to open and close.

https://community.cadence.com/caden...26543/help-how-to-use-the-switch-in-analoglib