How many dog lovers here?

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
We have two, a golden retriever and a beagle, Coffee and Maggi respectively. They joined us 6 years ago and we are inseparable.
I think your world becomes a little more happier and brighter with them around.

Lets see if I find anymore Coffee and Maggi out there.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
American Boykin Spaniel -- all brown, yellow eyes, and a little smaller than his British English cousins.

He was a fearless hunter -- snakes, squirrels, raccoons, etc. -- but wouldn't chase a stick for anything. Only dog I have known that wouldn't chase a stick or ball.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
An American Pit-Bull, wonderfully intelligent she was raised by my Cats or maybe the other way around. Even though she was well socialized and I made it clear to my children she was not to be trusted around people, on the leash at all times. The best alarm security with a bark bigger than her bite, anyone wanting to break in would need to deal with a 50 pound.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
We have two, a golden retriever and a beagle, Coffee and Maggi respectively. They joined us 6 years ago and we are inseparable.
I think your world becomes a little more happier and brighter with them around.

Lets see if I find anymore Coffee and Maggi out there.
About 31 years ago I met my wife. I had my dog Tasha at the time and her dog was Dinky. Tasha was about all I got in my divorce. Over the years there have been always at least two dogs in our house but we did peak for several years at three dogs. Today there is Biscuit an 8 year old male mixed breed maybe some yellow lab and Charlotte a golden retriever. Charlotte will be two years old in January. Over all the years we have been fortunate in that all the dogs lived long and healthy lives. Biscuit and Charlotte show up on the AAC Pets thread.

Till now all of our dogs have been pound puppies from our county shelter. Charlotte is the first from a breeder as I wanted another golden thinking back to my boy bear who while a pound puppy was a large golden. So we drive to a breeder in Amish Country and there were 9 puppies in a litter, they were all 6 weeks old at the time. The girl handed me a list with the names and Charlotte jumped out at me as it was my mother's name, so Charlotte it was and we picked her and her papers up two weeks later.

Biscuit
Biscuit Snow.png

Charlotte
Charlotte 1.png

More recent of Charlotte being a PITA for Biscuit
Biscuit and Charlotte.png

She is larger now and about his size. I can't imagine this house less the dogs. Pets in general be they cats, dogs or even a gerbil bring in so much to our lives and take so little.

Ron

Attachments

marcuskeene

Joined Oct 15, 2018
Wow.. They are all adorable but I have a soft corner for golden retrievers. My parents had a male retriever named Sparky, I have fond memories of growing up with him.
Coffee and Charlotte have a similar story. We too got her from a breeder and it was a match made in heaven. Breeder's daughter wanted to keep her, but she came running to my wife and never left us. The name is from a novel I was reading where the main character had a cat named Mr. Coffee. One of my friend had the beagle litter and I just couldn't keep myself away from the tiny Maggi. She is a little smaller too from the rest of her siblings but she is amazing. Will share some pictures next time for sure.
I always feel having them around makes you a different person altogether.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I placed this in the Pets of AAC thread but figured as it is dog related I would place it here also. The email is from my sister Cindy, Andrea is her daughter (my niece).
Subject: Andrea's college roommate

For those of you who remember Lily, one of Andrea's college roommates during junior and senior years, here is a heartwarming story and video featuring Lily and a four-legged friend:

https://wishesdelivered.ups.com/soldiers-wish/

Even if you did not know Lily, I promise you will still love the story and video!

Cindy

Pretty heartwarming. :)

Ron

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I was recently very moved by the story of the Sato project, where abandoned dogs in Puerto Rico are rescued and adopted. I encourage pet lovers to think about throwing a few bucks to a pet charity of their choice.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The thing I have a big problem with is 'man made dogs' as I call them, the obsession seems to be to try and breed something just to create something unique in order to satisfy the vanity of the breeder.
This leads to poor animals that suffer from Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome a term related to various upper airway problems found in short-nosed, flat-faced dog breeds such as the Pekingese.Pug, Bulldog, Boxer, Chihuahua Shih tzu etc,
Symptoms of an obstructed upper airway may include snoring, rapid breathing (or tachypnea), noisy breathing when inhaling, frequent panting, difficulty eating or swallowing, coughing and gagging, inability to perform physical activity, especially in warm, humid weather, and occasionally physical collapse. A physical examination may reveal further indications, such as stenotic nares (narrowed nasal passages), abnormally high body temperature (or hyperthermia), and increased respiratory effort evident by open-mouth breathing and constant panting.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-evolution-of-dog-breeds-has-seriously-hurt-dogs.html

It is never good to mess with mother nature.:rolleyes:
Max.

Last edited:

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Mother/Father nature is a psychotic cruel beeotch/a$$hat. But with his/her help humans have successfully developed a huge diversity of useful and helpful critters (and other organisms as well). Some are useful for their capabilities, others their taste, and some just cuz they are so darn cute.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then we shoulda stuck with wolves.
Actually the first 'Tame' dogs became that way because of mutual benefits, and did not change that much at first.
But there are also many breeds of dogs, many of them 'working dogs' in areas that at least give them the opportunity to lead self fulfilling lives very close to their original natural way of life.
It is the in-breeding that produces the symptoms mentioned in #13 that I have a problem with.
Just as the extremely cruel practice of keeping caged birds gets to me. :mad:
Max.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Actually the first 'Tame' dogs became that way because of mutual benefits, and did not change that much at first.
But there are also many breeds of dogs, many of them 'working dogs' in areas that at least give them the opportunity to lead self fulfilling lives very close to their original natural way of life.
It is the in-breeding that produces the symptoms mentioned in #13 that I have a problem with.
Just as the extremely cruel practice of keeping caged birds gets to me. :mad:
Max.