How do you supply your DIY, MCU based test equipment

xubi

Joined May 19, 2018
We all have some sort of testers, super testers, PIC RLC-meters, or MCU frequency counters, that are small but still need power supply to work
Easily I do have about 4 of these little critters on my bench, and need to get them into enclosures, and give them power. I am not a big fan of 9V batteries, so I could power each of them via a transformer or a sort of AC adapter but this means another 4 power sockets, or have a unique power supply for all of them and a DC rail to power them from it.
How did you solve this in your home lab?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Most of the stuff I've designed for my workbench runs off 12 VAC, using 5.5/2.0 mm barrel jacks for power input. I seldom run more than one of my gadgets at a time, so a single 12 VAC wall-wart with a barrel plug suffices; I just plug it into whatever I'm using at the moment. For those rare occasions when I'm operating two devices at once, I have a second wall-wart.

Some of my devices operate from 5 VDC power and for those I use either a 5V USB phone charger (I've found the Apple iPhone "white cube" chargers give the cleanest, least noisy output) or a 5V 2000 mAh USB "booster battery." For my 5V devices, I bring power in through a USB Mini-B breakout board from Adafruit.

Last edited:

xubi

Joined May 19, 2018
Thank you for opinions gentlemen.
ScottWang, it is not about V/I but about principle; how do you cope with more low power, MCU driven instruments on your bench. How this changed your power supply habits and what way did you go with it. Earlier I added more mains sockets,as every instrument needed 230V, but now it seems I could use some other power distribution system, based on low voltage ( 5,9,12V ) to power up the RLC meter, Frequency counter, signal generator or multitester, ESR meter, and things continue comming :)