how do you probe tiny pins?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Aside from clipping to a device terminal and randomly looking at the signal, it makes far more sense to obtain the circuit of the device and either connect to the required points or else remove some f the solder resist and solder to the traces on the PCB.
What signals are you hoping to tap into??

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Aside from clipping to a device terminal and randomly looking at the signal, it makes far more sense to obtain the circuit of the device and connect to the required points
It's a chinese amazon special electronic device, no schematic if that's what you mean
or else remove some of the solder resist and solder to the traces on the PCB.
Good call, how's the best way to remove the resist?
What signals are you hoping to tap into??
See below
I would like to get a signal of exactly what's on the LCD, because the rangefinder has other features like compass, level, et. al, and calculates the hypoteneuse if you're aiming up hill or down hill. [...] It would be super cool if there is a diagnostic bus on it somewhere that is just puking out strings of all the info I want but I doubt it. I want to rule it out though.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I read what I wanted to read there.
You didn't say anything about soldering wires on.
So how do you probe the blobs? With the clips you recommended? Or Just by hand?
What about probing 4 pins at once?
It's using the clips, no extra wires. Some PCB layouts are easier to probe than others but I only try pin one at a time as usually there are alternative sites on the board for pin signals.

If I need to use wire then it's usually this stuff: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3179335.pdf

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/blinky-prop-for-comic-con.127266/post-1038151

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Solder mask usually scrapes off without too much effort. Making just a narrow scrape you may be able to get solder on just a very narrow strip to solder on a thin wire, say #32 or #34.
There is probably a driver IC for the LCD, and the lines to that should be easier to trace. And if it is a device with a part number that can be looked up then you can discover the connections of the data signals.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
There is probably a driver IC for the LCD, and the lines to that should be easier to trace. And if it is a device with a part number that can be looked up then you can discover the connections of the data signals.
The chip shown is the LCD driver and the three pins of interest are a serial data, clock and a read/write pin.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think I've decided on this

plus this.

When I found the PCBite stuff on SparkFun with no reviews I was concerned about the flexy arms not being sturdy enough, but I found it on Amazon and it has decent reviews so...

Also PCBite makes this scope probe version. I'm not getting it, but figured some folks here might find it useful.