How do you call these parts?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
A

AA.jpg

B (IIRC, got it many years ago salvaged from old electric equipment or maybe RF gear). Belling-Lee UK - Made of something like "rubber" probably hardened with time.

B.jpg

C

C.jpg

CC.jpg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Note that the terminal blocks connect to each other and can be had in 2 & 3 terminal pieces. Standard perfboard spacing. Good thing to have about if you do much perfboard prototyping. I keep those and Banana plugs and jacks on hand.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi at,
The 'B' terminal blocks in your post, look like 3Amp, mains rated , screw terminal blocks.
You can chop them into single or double connectors by cutting thru the block.

They have always been a flexible type rubber body.

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Max,
I was referring to the B image.
Agreed they come in a number of materials, as you say plastic and some older ones in a ceramic type of White pot.
E

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Note that the terminal blocks connect to each other and can be had in 2 & 3 terminal pieces. Standard perfboard spacing. Good thing to have about if you do much perfboard prototyping. I keep those and Banana plugs and jacks on hand.
Yes! Assembling most of my designs in perfboard, I did too many in the past, soldering the wires to the board instead of using terminal blocks. Go figure. The cost of ignoring the basics.

Few days ago I found that my current project (I hope to post about it soon) was plagued by noise traced to a multiple output PSU I built maybe 12 or 15 years ago. To gain access to the underside of the PCB I should desolder maybe 20 (or more) wires. I preferred to quickly build a small one with +/- 9V plus +5V. In 24 hours I was happily in business again, duly connected with terminal blocks.

20210605_145403[1].jpg

Your B is what's known as a DIN terminal block. An auto-installer friend, no deceased, used nice ones for stereo installs.

They come with and without a wire protector. The protector is a flat piece of steel that won't separate stranded wires. I like them the best. His was a "little rubbery", but most are not and did not contain a wire protector.

You can use them with "wire ferrules".

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your B is what's known as a DIN terminal block. An auto-installer friend, no deceased, used nice ones for stereo installs.
Technically DIN terminal blocks are intended for those that can be DIN rack mounted, the ones shown in the OP and the type that require screw or other means of mounting are not DIN.
Phoenix make both styles.

DIN versions
1622923902128.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A - Screw Terminal Block
B - Barrier Strip Terminal Block
C - Banana Post (or Jack)

I started building my guitar tube amp using terminal blocks because I didn't yet know the component values and I wanted to be able to make changes easily.

I originally wanted to use Lug Tag Strips but I believe my stock got thrown out in a rushed evacuation order.
1622921648145.png

tube amp1.jpg

Looks messy!

Everything when smoothly until I got to installing the reverb. There were too many unknowns so I had to fall back on breadboarding the tube circuit.

tube amp2.jpg

I saw some beautiful work done using eyelets.

1622923772175.png

Then I only just realized, hey, I have a CNC milling machine. I can mill my own PCB. Here is the machine in action as we speak.tube amp3.jpg

Time to solder some components.