How do they do it? Non-sequiturs & irrepressible pseudo-technology.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
On Stargate, they very easily interface laptops containing Serial and USB ports to Ancient technology crystals by using a cable and small battery clips?????

How do they do it? :rolleyes:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
They read ahead in the script to the part that explains the interface protocols. The U in USB stands for Universal, doesn't it?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
They read ahead in the script to the part that explains the interface protocols. The U in USB stands for Universal, doesn't it?
Lol! :D That is the real answer!

On Stargate, they very easily interface laptops containing Serial and USB ports to Ancient technology crystals by using a cable and small battery clips?????

How do they do it? :rolleyes:
They use The Force.....

....no, no, that is Star Wars!

Dave

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Yep, I like that ...U for Universal.

And, since you mention Star Wars, I mean...

How is it they have the technology to travel faster than light, destroy planets, and create Death Stars, but the bad guys in the white plastic suites can't hit the broad side of a Millenium Falcon with a hand blaster?

Considering the technology, don't you think they'd have some kind of self-aiming ray gun? Or, one that acted like a shotgun that would just take out every living thing in front of the person holding it?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
And, since you mention Star Wars, I mean...

How is it they have the technology to travel faster than light, destroy planets, and create Death Stars, but the bad guys in the white plastic suites can't hit the broad side of a Millenium Falcon with a hand blaster?
Genetic drift - they're all clones don't you know! :D

Considering the technology, don't you think they'd have some kind of self-aiming ray gun? Or, one that acted like a shotgun that would just take out every living thing in front of the person holding it?
That would be too easy and rubbish viewing!

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Have you ever worn one of those helmets? Can't see for jack!!

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Please note I open this thread to all -- for anyone to ask equally mind-boggling "How do they do it?" questions, and to receive erudite explanations thereof.

:p

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I really liked the way A. Swartzenegger was able to tear his way into the cargo area in a 747 (Commando), break into the nosewheel area, and jump out into a swamp off the end of the Miami airport after the plane was airborne, and not get wet, mess his hair, or die. Handy trick. He was later able to run and use two machine guns to pick off two snipers located way off to either side without having to look at either of them. Also useful.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
In the movie "Sneakers," how is it that Robert Redford was able to crawl across the top of an acoustic tile ceiling? And where did all that light up there come from?

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
My Star Wars "techno-flibbles": they have humanoid robots, yet must aim and fire their weapons manually. Also, I LOVE the recoil their energy weapons produce! :D

Also in the original Star Trek TV show, the Enterprise would get zapped, and smoke would pour out from everywhere on the bridge. Then Mr. Spock would open a cabinet, lean in, and with no repair tools, no diagnostic tools, nor replacement parts whatsoever, would fix the problem in seconds. :p

--Rich

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The best was Kowalski in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Some closet door on the sub would blow open with lots of smoke pouring out of the fried electronics inside. Old Kowalski had everything fixed in two minutes. No tools, no parts. Maybe he was one of Spock's ancestors.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
What about the A-team, who could make a helicopter from a sheet of corrugated-iron and a few tubes of gripfill! :D

Dave

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
Also in the original Star Trek TV show, the Enterprise would get zapped, and smoke would pour out from everywhere on the bridge. Then Mr. Spock would open a cabinet, lean in, and with no repair tools, no diagnostic tools, nor replacement parts whatsoever, would fix the problem in seconds.
Haven't you ever noticed, spare "PC" boards are stored in slots withing the cabinet, all Spock has to do is pull out the bad one(s) and insert new from the backup slots ...no muss, no fuss.

However, I still don't understand why they have steam fittings on the bridge that blow out when under severe attack just like in the old submarine movies. I guess it's part of the environmental system, nothing beats good old fashioned steam heat.

See the tag for a great take on the Death Star from Star Wars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp69rg6Hdlo

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
What about the A-team, who could make a helicopter from a sheet of corrugated-iron and a few tubes of gripfill! :D

Dave
Or, conversely, how come the Professor on "Gilligans Island" could create pretty much anything out of coconuts, bamboo, and sand . . . but was incapable of patching a small hole in a boat?