How do I "Tag"/ "Link" AAC members into a Forum post"

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
The problem
Suppose I am drafting a reply to a post. In my reply I want to automatically alert another member (= a third party) to the existence of my reply. Lets say the other member's name is Freda. Freda is not the member to whom I am replying and has not been involved in the thread up until now. All I want to do is get Freda to read my reply for her information/ action. Using an old fashioned analogy, if I were writing a letter I would achieve this by putting Freda's name after the abbreviation for carbon copy, like this: "cc: Freda". And I would send a copy to her.

My questions are:

Q1 Nomenclature: What is the correct verb (or in this case present participle) that AAC people use to describe what I am trying to do in relation to member Freda?
  1. Am I "tagging" Freda in? or
  2. Am I "linking" Freda in?
I ask this to merely clarify if they are the same. AAC forum posts and other AAC materials I have seen appear to use both terms interchangeably with the term "tag" probably being more frequently used.

Q2 Difference between link and tag: If tag and link are not synonyms then, what is the difference?

Q3 BB codes: Which BB codes do I use in the body of my reply to "tag in"/ "link in" the third party member? There appears to be two possibilities outlined below. The red boxes below were copied from https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/help/bb-codes.
NB: the examples in the boxes use my member details rather than the imaginary Freda's.

Thanks for helping me.

Mellisa King

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@Mellisa_K ,When you want to tag a member, you must place a @ symbol before the name.
During the typing of the name, a dropdown will be shown with the names starting with the typed text.

Bertus

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Thankyou Bertus,

So using the @symbol with a member's name sends an alert to the member that they have been mentioned in the post? Yes?

Do the two methods I mentioned in Post #1 achieve the same thing or something different?

If so, does that mean there are three ways to tag a member?

@Mellisa_K

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do the two methods I mentioned in Post #1 achieve the same thing or something different?
I always use the @ symbol.
I do not know how the other methods react.
The member is also notified when using a quote, as I did with your question.

Bertus

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Yeah well when you used it in Post #2, i got an alert - not because of the @ inclusion but because you replied to my post.

And when I used my @Mellisa_K in my post (ie #3) i didnt get an alert.

M

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Thankyou for the reply Bertus,
but that still leaves the question why I didnt get alerted when you used it in Post #2
MK

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Melissa K

This is your thread so you already get alerts that someone responded. They don't note that someone tagged you as well - that would just be annoying.

Also, this forum is a Xenforo application. Google "Xenforo tags" and you will see all the options - all may not be implemented at every Xenforo forum.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
@Melissa K

This is your thread so you already get alerts that someone responded. They don't note that someone tagged you as well - that would just be annoying.

Also, this forum is a Xenforo application. Google "Xenforo tags" and you will see all the options - all may not be implemented at every Xenforo forum.
Ok thanks GopherT I'll chase that up M

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Hi GopherT,

I have now had a chance to look at your reply in more detail.
Your points follow with my response:
1 This is your thread so you already get alerts that someone responded. They don't note that someone tagged you as well - that would just be annoying.
--Yes that explains my question to Bertus. It makes sense. Thankyou.

2 Also, this forum is a Xenforo application. Google "Xenforo tags" and you will see all the options - all may not be implemented at every Xenforo forum.
-- I had trouble finding what I wanted in my search. However, I think I am pretty close to working it out.
-- Without further searching, perhaps I could ask you to directly answer the three questions below stemming from my original query:
When another member is "tagged" by the author of the post (by placing the "@" symbol before their name as Bertus suggested in Post #4) -
A) Does that tagged member receive a notification?
B) Does the tagged member receive the notification via an exclamation mark over their avatar that appears on the top right hand corner of the the AAC page they are currently reading? (Provided the tagged member has one or more boxes checked under their "Alert Preferences" list)
C) Does the tagged member automatically also receive the notification via an email?

Many thanks,
Mellisa​

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi GopherT,

I have now had a chance to look at your reply in more detail.
Your points follow with my response:
--Yes that explains my question to Bertus. It makes sense. Thankyou.

-- I had trouble finding what I wanted in my search. However, I think I am pretty close to working it out.
-- Without further searching, perhaps I could ask you to directly answer the three questions below stemming from my original query:
When another member is "tagged" by the author of the post (by placing the "@" symbol before their name as Bertus suggested in Post #4) -
A) Does that tagged member receive a notification?
B) Does the tagged member receive the notification via an exclamation mark over their avatar that appears on the top right hand corner of the the AAC page they are currently reading? (Provided the tagged member has one or more boxes checked under their "Alert Preferences" list)
C) Does the tagged member automatically also receive the notification via an email?

Many thanks,
Mellisa​
I tagged you in a thread that you did not start. That should answer all of your questions.