How do I open this Weller soldering iron?

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Hello....I want to open and rewire this Weller iron. Does anyone know how it comes apart? I believe it's an MT1501 but not sure of that. 002.jpg Thanks, Dave.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The Red boxed area's appear to be crimped, getting it apart and reassembly could a problem.
If its completely unusable, I would start by prising it apart at that double crimped area.
E
002.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This view of that area raises my concern:
upload_2018-11-16_6-0-12.png

It looks like the metal band is spot welded to something. Is it a clip that can be compressed or pushed back to release the innards? It seems unlikely those spot welds were made after assembly, as the heat affected zone might melt the plastic. If desperate, you might try drilling the spot welds out, then sliding the band backward , or maybe the innards will just come out once the welds are disconnected.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Or once you get it apart there is nothing that is repairable. And it just has helical resistance wire separated by a ceramic holder like they are in a cartridge heater, made to be discarded when they reach end of life.
upload_2018-11-16_10-7-22.jpeg

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Just want to add....jpanhalt, the ring is a sensor that detects when the iron is picked up and releases it from standby. A wire is spot welded underneath. Thanks again everybody.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Just want to add....jpanhalt, the ring is a sensor that detects when the iron is picked up and releases it from standby. A wire is spot welded underneath. Thanks again everybody.
Lesson learned. Back in the day (pre Y2K) when I was making decisions about major equipment, one of my requirements was repairability. Power supplies were the usual weak spot, and I required schematic of the PS, if not component level support. We saved thousands as a result, but I was at a large institution and the vendors valued our business.

As an individual, it is pretty much buyer beware (aka caveat emptor).

John