How do I open a Weller MT1501 soldering iron?

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Any ideas how this opens anyone? My wire has got chopped off and is too short to join.
Nigh on £250 for a new one so your help would be more than welcome. Thank you, Dave.
(No offence meant but please, no guesses!)
Weller MT1501.jpg

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Hey, thanks Wolframore, that's great info. I'm actually in the UK but I'll contact them and see what they can do. Cheers....will let you know if solved.

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Yeah, that's a classic example of Weller deviousness. There's 3 screws on the heater base of that iron and you think it's easy to open....but you can't until you remove the lattice cable strain relief by squeezing it over two little lugs (not easy) and THEN you have to push a screwdriver up into the handle to get the black cable holder back past the locking lug in the handle! I guess there's a lot of money to be made from repairs eh? :)

M4RTY

Joined Mar 4, 2024
Any ideas how this opens anyone? My wire has got chopped off and is too short to join.
Nigh on £250 for a new one so your help would be more than welcome. Thank you, Dave.
(No offence meant but please, no guesses!)
View attachment 178639
Did you happen to fix this MT1501 ?
I have one and took it apart to fix a broken wire , and I've lost my color and pin locations for the black connector side.
Would you have a pin out of photos of the inside of this connector?

Thanks

Midsomerdave

Joined May 23, 2014
Did you happen to fix this MT1501 ?
I have one and took it apart to fix a broken wire , and I've lost my color and pin locations for the black connector side.
Would you have a pin out of photos of the inside of this connector?

Thanks
I never did get mine opened lol...
Hope this helps you out.
Regs,
Dave.

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
These two screws are the strain relief for the cable.
1709592073477.png

The individual wires of the cable are stripped and stuffed into the proper color coded tube of the male jack. Notice that upon desolering the tube opening that it has been somewhat cirmped and will need to be openened back up.
1709592618799.png

Note that solder goes all the way through the tube and having wire going to the end of the tube aids in wicking the solder. Excess solder can be trimmed from the open end of the tube. And you have the wire color diagram. Easy Peasy... Done it many times. Trick is using a large mass soldering iron tip for fast heat transfer to the tubes. This is not delicate work as you can tell from the factory melted insulation.
1709592553657.png