How do I create an image for Qualcom snapdragon chip on Samsung Note 3?

SeanAtGmail

Joined Nov 5, 2014
I have compiled a modified version of Samsgun Open Source, and I am having trouble creating an image I can deploy. Although this may seem like just flashing the phone, and there is a slew of scripts and online resources, I have looked into those resources for the past two days. I think my only way is to understand what I have, and what I need to have to accomplish this. Below is a list of files I get when I take a stock firmware of my phone, and unzip it:
sansari@ubuntu:~/stock3$ ls
aboot.mbn initramfs.cpio.gz N900PVPUCNC5_N900PSPTCNC5_SPR.zip rpm.mbn SS_DL.dll zImage
boot.img modem.bin NON-HLOS.bin sbl1.mbn system.img.ext4
cache.img.ext4 N900PVPUCNC5_N900PSPTCNC5_N900PVPUCNC5_HOME.tar.md5 recovery.img sdi.mbn tz.mbn
sansari@ubuntu:~/stock3$ file *
aboot.mbn: Hitachi SH big-endian COFF object, not stripped
boot.img: data
cache.img.ext4: data
initramfs.cpio.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix
modem.bin: x86 boot sector
N900PVPUCNC5_N900PSPTCNC5_N900PVPUCNC5_HOME.tar.md5: POSIX tar archive
N900PVPUCNC5_N900PSPTCNC5_SPR.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
NON-HLOS.bin: x86 boot sector
recovery.img: data
rpm.mbn: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
sbl1.mbn: data
sdi.mbn: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
SS_DL.dll: PE32 executable (DLL) (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
system.img.ext4: data
tz.mbn: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
zImage: Linux kernel ARM boot executable zImage (little-endian)

I have included the information about each file. What I did here was to take the stock firmware, which I have used in the past to flash my phone with, and replaced the zImage file. This file resides in the boot.img file. And there is an script that splits the boot.img into zImage and a couple of other files. I used the same script to create a new boot.img. I then used "tar -H ustar -c" command to tar the file. But I can not use Odin, Samsung GUI tool, to flash my phone. I have looked into other tools such as Heimdall without success. I really liked the content of "read before you post" of this site, and I think I am more likely to find my answer here. I need to discuss this with audience who may not have done the exact same thing, but can help perhaps get me further. Any advice is greatly appreciated even if you point me to other groups. I have posted to stackoverflow, Google Group: Android-builders, xda-develpers, and Android Dev Central. Oh even Qualcom forum.