How do I change this controlled source ?

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
Hello !
I've got one question about controlled source.

When I have this situation :

1658014644606.png

I heard that there is a rule when I want to change controlled source into resistance or conductance. And it looked something like that.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
I guess that in this case, the "equivalent" resistance will be positive. Because VCCS will absorb power in the original circuit.

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
The equivalent resistance will be negative resistance.
My teacher said that it is still positivi but I don't know why.

1658078169744.png

EDIT:

Real example here is how it would look like for positiv current :

1658079173262.png

Which I see that it is equivalent to positive resistance. But this one ?

1658079183289.png

I don't know. Because I can't change how the controlled source is "picking up" the current. So for him it will be - I_E.

Last edited:

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
Show him these two circuits:

View attachment 271654
I'm sorry I may not understand this one.

I made something like that :

1658079981640.png

First one shows that it is positiv resistance, but the second one is when I switched the voltage source and now R2 is equal - Ur so U is also equal -U. But I know I should change how "U" arrow is pointing.

Because when I had this one :

1658080111233.png

And this one :

1658080127600.png

Whenever I_E is positive or negative the resistance is still negative :

https://tinyurl.com/25zndvzz

Maybe I'm wrong but If I change how this source is "picking" the currance. I mean here to change the direction of "i" then The resistance will be positive ? No matted if "i" is positive or negative ?

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
First, you showed us the circuit that contains VCCS. And now your second circuit contains CCVS. And you expect them to behave the same?

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
First, you showed us the circuit that contains VCCS. And now your second circuit contains CCVS. And you expect them to behave the same?
I expected that this rule I learned is works for both of them.

I picked the voltage on the circuit for VCCS. So I thought that when I pick it like this :
1658081135312.png

Same principle so I thought it would work the same. Just like for CCVS if the current is positive or not the resistance is positive or negative depending on how the CCVS is "taking" the current, or more likely which way.

For CCVS it was true like in the simulations but why isn't it true for VCCS? Same principle. But I don't know how to make a circuit with CCVS in the simulation so I can't check it.

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
PS.

It looks the same like CCVS, but maybe I'm wrong.
Is it still the same like the circuit I drawn ? With U = -Ur ?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello !
I've got one question about controlled source.

When I have this situation :

View attachment 271589

I heard that there is a rule when I want to change controlled source into resistance or conductance. And it looked something like that.
Hi,

I dont know if you want to think about this in more general terms or not, but the way you have that connected it is kind of simple.

If you have a dependent current source that is controlled by a voltage that is actually across the source, then we can write:

R=v/I(v)

where R is the proposed resistance and v is the voltage across it and I(v) is the current source dependent on the voltage v.

Now since the current source I(v) is related to the voltage usually by a constant factor, we can say that the current source is:
I(v)=a*v

or anything like that.
Substituting that into the first equation we get:
R=v/(a*v) which of course is R=1/a

so we can see that if a=4 then the resistance R is 1/4 for example.

If the dependent current source is more complicated then it wont work out so simple.
If I(v)=a*v^2+b*v+c then we end up with:
R=v/(a*v^2+b*v+c)

which can not be reduced to a single resistance unless of course the voltage v is constant, which would not make sense although i guess it is a possibility in a static circuit.

Last edited:

Xenon02

Joined Feb 24, 2021
Hi,

I dont know if you want to think about this in more general terms or not, but the way you have that connected it is kind of simple.

If you have a dependent current source that is controlled by a voltage that is actually across the source, then we can write:

R=v/I(v)

where R is the proposed resistance and v is the voltage across it and I(v) is the current source dependent on the voltage v.

Now since the current source I(v) is related to the voltage usually by a constant factor, we can say that the current source is:
I(v)=a*v

or anything like that.
Substituting that into the first equation we get:
R=v/(a*v) which of course is R=1/a

so we can see that if a=4 then the resistance R is 1/4 for example.

If the dependent current source is more complicated then it wont work out so simple.
If I(v)=a*v^2+b*v+c then we end up with:
R=v/(a*v^2+b*v+c)

which can not be reduced to a single resistance unless of course the voltage v is constant, which would not make sense although i guess it is a possibility in a static circuit.
I don't know if I get it because I don't see te circuit and how it works but looking at this :

1658088942780.png

which is the same like this circuit :

1658088962989.png

The simulations says the same :

https://tinyurl.com/25etxrtm

So I thought that no matter what is the voltage "U". Even if it's U = -Ur the controlled source can be changed into positive resistance.

EDIT:

For example here :

1658090669025.png

So which one of this (bUr or Ur) is negative to get negative conductance

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I don't know if I get it because I don't see te circuit and how it works but looking at this :

View attachment 271681

which is the same like this circuit :

View attachment 271682

The simulations says the same :

https://tinyurl.com/25etxrtm

So I thought that no matter what is the voltage "U". Even if it's U = -Ur the controlled source can be changed into positive resistance.

EDIT:

For example here :

View attachment 271684

So which one of this (bUr or Ur) is negative to get negative conductance
Hello again,

Are you looking for a Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuit here?
That would be similar except you would also find a source to go with it.