How do I add a wireless controller to a PWM box?

pstar

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong place. I'm a noob and that's an understatement. I have a project where I added a PWM box to my boat trolling motor. The purpose is to add variable speed control which increases battery power among other benefits. The PWM is controlled by a potentiometer which plugs into the circuit board via two connectors. Is it possible to plug in an aftermarket RF wireless device of some kind which would afford remote speed control? Perhaps some cheap device off ebay I could plug into the same ports the potentiometer uses? If so, can anyone link an example of such a device? Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Are you willing to make a small circuit to do this?

If you want a pre-made module, then can you describe the signals into and out of the pot? Is this a dual pot or one with a switch or...?

pstar

Joined Feb 2, 2017
I have no expertise to make a circuit. I was hoping there may be a RF controller with a remote available on e-bay which would plug into the same connection point the potentiometer uses to make the voltage adjustment wireless.

Here's the link to the PWM I have http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301605051423?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have another question. I may purchase a different PWM which has a reverse switch. Do you think using the reverse switch would damage to motor? Wouls using the reverse switch on the PWM be the same as simply reversing the motor battery cables on the battery? It's a simple brushed motor with a switch. Here are some diagrams...thanks.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...dura-C2-Endura-C2-30.pdf?11138724384140476734

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong place. I'm a noob and that's an understatement. I have a project where I added a PWM box to my boat trolling motor. The purpose is to add variable speed control which increases battery power among other benefits. The PWM is controlled by a potentiometer which plugs into the circuit board via two connectors. Is it possible to plug in an aftermarket RF wireless device of some kind which would afford remote speed control? Perhaps some cheap device off ebay I could plug into the same ports the potentiometer uses? If so, can anyone link an example of such a device? Thanks so much for your help!
Probably the simplest solution is the RC model system - if you have line of sight; an IR transmitter would exclude any model enthusiasts who just happen to be using the same channel.

An off the shelf servo can control a mechanical pot - the servo usually has an internal position sensor pot that you could hack for a control voltage.