How different is industrial experience in Embedded system engineer in India differ from other places

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
prologue about me: I am fledging embedded systems engineer working in industry since 2017 who did bachelors( under graduation) in india in electronics and communication and masters in computer engineering in USA. As of now I have overal 2+ years of experience working in USA. soon, I will be moving to india in 8 months.

The reason for my question is: In India where the market is dominated by IT. I have seen most of my friends have settled in IT even when they are of from different Majors( Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics) in which they train the people for 3 to 6 months on some technology in IT and get placed.

Where as here I am, I haven't changed many employers to know whether it is a industry standard or it is a standard of my employer only. I have been working for my present employer for 2 years after my graduation. In my company there is not something like " Training" what I learned during my tenure is purely through my own researching and developing.One of the reason is, I am the first person to join my company as a electronics person. So, I do not have an upper management related to electronics.( My company purchase electronic products from outsourcing company and sells to its customers in bulk amount) Somewhere down the line, i feel I have become self employed in a way there is no hindering block for my growth except my own potential and amount of time I spend on reasearching and developing besides lacking funding for some licenses like keil, purchase of development kits, debuggers. . . ,

My current level of skillset: I can develop a software by my own using STM32 from scratch.

I also develop sofware using existing libraries from outsourcing company. I still need to get to a point where I can develop a software from scratch for nodic microcontrollers.

My question are:

1. I prefer not to divide the people based on geography but the reason why I mentioned as india is I am going back to that place so I am interested in knowing about it more. I assume that, every where in the world it is the same. Does industrial experience differ from country to country ?
  2. In India, what a management expects from a 2+ years of industrial experience and master's graduate.
  3. Are my experiences similar to most of the people with 2+ years of experience or they are below or above the estimated ?
  4. Depending on the response I will hone my skillls in these 6 months..
I firmly belive there are many experts in this community. I can cross check through their answers if I am going in the right track or do I need to change my paths. That is the reason for posting

jhovel

Joined Jul 9, 2016
Hi. I live in Australia and have worked here, in India and in Germany. I found industry experiences wildly different because of the different cultures.
In Germany, there is a well-defined hierarchy of responsibility and it required a bit of getting used to. That means you have to always go through the correct channels communicating what you are doing or want to do.
In Australia (and I imagine in the USA), that hierarchy is only visible if mistakes are made. So people often behave as if they were working independently. But I found that documenting what you are up to and reporting your progress to your team or your supervisors is expected.
India was most confusing, because employees are expected to do EXACTLY what they are told to do, but never ONLY what they are told to do. If you don't do interesting or innovative things IN ADDITION to the things you are told to do, you are considered lazy.....

I know I only read one post from you, but my immediate impression is that your English language skills are not good enough to work at masters level.
In your shoes, I would try to actively improve my language skills as much as possible over the next 8 months. When you work in India, you will be dealing with people in many English speacking nations - and your communication needs to be very good, or you will loose face.
Secondly, how good is you language knowledge of electronics and design in Telugu or Hindi or whichever langauage you will need to speak locally?

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hi Jhovel,
Thanks for your inputs. My Native language is Telugu. But, I don't use my native language in professional world. In my opinion I would considered my knowledge of electronics design to be descent enough.
Hi. I live in Australia and have worked here, in India and in Germany. I found industry experiences wildly different because of the different cultures.
In Germany, there is a well-defined hierarchy of responsibility and it required a bit of getting used to. That means you have to always go through the correct channels communicating what you are doing or want to do.
In Australia (and I imagine in the USA), that hierarchy is only visible if mistakes are made. So people often behave as if they were working independently. But I found that documenting what you are up to and reporting your progress to your team or your supervisors is expected.
India was most confusing, because employees are expected to do EXACTLY what they are told to do, but never ONLY what they are told to do. If you don't do interesting or innovative things IN ADDITION to the things you are told to do, you are considered lazy.....

I know I only read one post from you, but my immediate impression is that your English language skills are not good enough to work at masters level.
In your shoes, I would try to actively improve my language skills as much as possible over the next 8 months. When you work in India, you will be dealing with people in many English speacking nations - and your communication needs to be very good, or you will loose face.
Secondly, how good is you language knowledge of electronics and design in Telugu or Hindi or whichever langauage you will need to speak locally?

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I have got a privilege of working with German colleagues. What ever you said about cultural differences between Germany and USA are true.

Last edited:

jhovel

Joined Jul 9, 2016
Namaste, Telugu was just a wild guess - I worked in Andhra Pradesh, Puttaparthi Region. That is why it came to mind :)
So really, as I said, just concentrate on improving your English - particularly grammar and vocabulary.
All the best for your career in India!

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Namaste, Telugu was just a wild guess - I worked in Andhra Pradesh, Puttaparthi Region. That is why it came to mind :)
So really, as I said, just concentrate on improving your English - particularly grammar and vocabulary.
All the best for your career in India!
Namaskaram, Thank you for your wishes. Have you got a chance to work in metropolitan cities such as Banglore, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, etc. I am with an impression that, Cultural difference also differs from state to state, especially in India.I may be wrong as I do not have any exposure to working culture in India.

It was shocking as well as surprising for me to get a feedback about English. I presumed anyone would recommend gaining a better understanding in Microprocessors, Digital design, Micro controller, Scripting Languages, etc. But you recommended English. Could you please explain your perspective for recommending grammar instead of technical skills? I also do understand that, If I learn grammar it enable's listener/ reader for a better understanding.

jhovel

Joined Jul 9, 2016
I have not had any other experience in India, only visiting companies in Hyderabad, sorry.
I hope I have not insulted you about your language skills. I am very sorry to have shocked you.
Because English is my second language too (for 45 years now), I am sensitive to accurate or corect communication.
Your vocabulary seems very good, but you use lots of expressions and sentence structures which are not quite right - and identfy you as Indian (not that this is necessarily a bad thing). Have you ever read user manuals from China and had difficulties understanding what they mean? It is for almost the same reason: expressions which are not quite right.
SInce this is getting personal, I won't go into any further details here but invite you to send me a PM and we can correspond privately - if you would like to.

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
I have not had any other experience in India, only visiting companies in Hyderabad, sorry.
I hope I have not insulted you about your language skills. I am very sorry to have shocked you.
Because English is my second language too (for 45 years now), I am sensitive to accurate or corect communication.
Your vocabulary seems very good, but you use lots of expressions and sentence structures which are not quite right - and identfy you as Indian (not that this is necessarily a bad thing). Have you ever read user manuals from China and had difficulties understanding what they mean? It is for almost the same reason: expressions which are not quite right.
SInce this is getting personal, I won't go into any further details here but invite you to send me a PM and we can correspond privately - if you would like to.
Thanks for the feeback and I can empathy what you meant. Yes, I have read manuals from China. You are true.

I believe that, " If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and Stupid":)