How cheap it's possible to a build an LCD Clock Now?

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Hi All,

One of my friend built an LCD clock for me before 5 years for just an 100 Rupee then (Just a 1$ roughly) Now I want to build the same LCD Clock for just 30 Rupees? Possible? (Always On is the only requirement) Railway Time is okay (No AM/PM required) (However tiny or dull it is Okay). I don't need any functionalities. I repeat: "Only clock. Nothing else"

Members please suggest. Thank you.

How about 50 Rupees? Possible?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi All,

One of my friend built an LCD clock for me before 5 years for just an 100 Rupee then (Just a 1$ roughly) Now I want to build the same LCD Clock for just 30 Rupees? Possible? (Always On is the only requirement) Railway Time is okay (No AM/PM required) (However tiny or dull it is Okay). I don't need any functionalities. I repeat: "Only clock. Nothing else"

Members please suggest. Thank you.

How about 50 Rupees? Possible?
Welcome to AAC.

Your question is impossible to answer as you pose it. The word “build” is ambiguous, and the specifications of the clock are as well. It’s very hard to even start answering without more information.

What was the nature of the ₹100 clock? What was “built” exactly? Do you have a photo?

In the absence of more information I am going to say “no”, it is not possible to “build” an “LCD clock” for 37¢, nor even 61¢.

It is possible you could buy an LCD clock module for those prices if you purchase them thousands at a time, but for any meaningful application of the word “build”—no, it isn’t possible.

(If you had the parts on hand from disassembled electronics or the like, and you had to purchase a bit of wire or some batteries, well then “yes” if that is “building”.)

EDITED for typo, no content change.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Yes, Welcome. You will encounter a range of capabilities and attitudes here, but we try earnestly to keep the forum hospitable and helpful..

My own thoughts while reading your first post was that I have seen LCD watches for less than US $2 where I live, and that includes a battery and watch strap! Seriously, every component you buy comes with a cost for the stocking and handling of that part by the seller and up the chain of supplier. It seems that the cheapest was to get a cheap LCD clock is to buy the cheapest you can find.

In my limited knowledge, such a project would cost in the US $10 range. A big part of getting at or towards your cost goal is finding the person willing to sell you the parts at a very low price, such as a surplus dealer.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thanks for revealing the climate for beginners in this forum. It's such a 'Warm' Welcome.
I'm sorry you see my answer like that. You are very welcome to be here on our forum but I think you maybe misjudged us. We are a bunch of hi-tech gurus who are willing to donate some of our spare time to help anyone to solve their technical problems and to discuss technical issues. We will share our vast collective knowledge with anyone who asks. I am sure that none of our members could know whether you can make the clock for the price you quoted without spending considerable time researching it. That is not what we volunteer or time for. That is something you can do.

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Welcome to AAC.

Your question is impossible to answer are you pose it. The word “build” is ambiguous, and the specifications of the clock are as well. It’s very hard to even start answering without more information.

What was the nature of the ₹100 clock? What was “built” exactly? Do you have a photo?

In the absence of more information I am going to say “no”, it is not possible to “build” an “LCD clock” for 37¢, nor even 61¢.

It is possible you could buy an LCD clock module for those prices if you purchase them thousands at a time, but for any meaningful application of the word “build”—no, it isn’t possible.

(If you had the parts on hand from disassembled electronics or the like, and you had to purchase a bit of wire or some batteries, well then “yes” if that is “building”.)
It was so tiny that the entire clock was just the screen of the below watches:

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
I'm sorry you see my answer like that. You are very welcome to be here on our forum but I think you maybe misjudged us. We are a bunch of hi-tech gurus who are willing to donate some of our spare time to help anyone to solve their technical problems and to discuss technical issues. We will share our vast collective knowledge with anyone who asks. I am sure that none of our members could know whether you can make the clock for the price you quoted without spending considerable time researching it. That is not what we volunteer or time for. That is something you can do.
Money is always the ultimate (It's a very famous dialogue in our regional cinema. that's why quoted. No offence. Just adding 'special effects' )

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It was so tiny that the entire clock was just the screen of the below watches:
Yes, you can buy the very cheapest watches for around 50 cents, US. But, that’s because they are manufactured on an industrial scale. This is as different from “building” one yourself as black is from white.

The reason they can be made so cheaply is that they are made by the tens of thousands. If you tried to make just one of those same things the cost would be astronomical.

Can I ask why you want to do this? What is the goal?

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Yes, you can buy the very cheapest watches for around 50 cents, US. But, that’s because they are manufactured on an industrial scale. This is as different from “building” one yourself as black is from white.

The reason they can be made so cheaply is that they are made by the tens of thousands. If you tried to make just one of those same things the cost would be astronomical.

Can I ask why you want to do this? What is the goal?
I need a small clock to glance at often (an always on Display). Would be better if I myself can make it! (You know so that I can add features gradually according to my learnings...)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think it will be impossible to build one of your own at that price without access to free or very very low-cost materials. Purchasing is not something they teach in school but many of the best purchasing agents have the ability to strike deals with suppliers. This is one of the ways they are able to obtain favorable prices on the things they need.

If I was going to attempt it, I would start by locating an LCD display with a serial interface. Then I would look for a low cost 8-pin micro controller with an internal oscillator. Never mind trying to find a crystal for an accurate oscillator. Add a capacitor and a battery and this would be the budget for components. Now you have to fabricate a PC board and I'm guessing the cost to build 1 board might be in the $50.00 neighborhood from PCB Express. I think they have a deal where they will make you a prototype board from your schematic, but it has to be a fixed size.

You would also have to bear the expense of microprocessor development system and programming hardware. I think you can see where this is going.

The only other possibility is to purchase a kit that you can build. I have never personally seen an actual kit for a price of less than $1.00.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sorry. You cannot build an LCD clock cheaper than what you can buy ready made.
You are competing against manufacturers who are taking advantage of economies of scale.
They can manufacture 1,000,000 pieces for $100,000.00 which brings the wholesale price down to $0.10 each.

Here is an example.
AliExpress LCD Watch.jpg

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
As per others
Im afraid these days , the chance to make something cheaper than you can purchase just the parts for are very few and far between.

The option to make something cheap and add to later , is also much less than it used to be,
the LCDs with the clock chip on the back, all integrated, are so cheap and full feature, what would one replace them with ?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I rewired much of a Subway restaurant for a client 2 years ago and there were boxes of give-away LCD watches with failed batteries left behind. One of those kinds of watch could be take apart and an individual with very good soldering skill might be able to tap in to the segment drive and add a driver for a readable size LCD display. Those watches, as free give-away items were overpriced.
"Build" can mean assemble from modules as well as assemble from basic components. But to produce a whole clock package really cheap will mean not using normal component suppliers.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Back in the 1970's my best friend and I started a business making a test instrument. The most expensive components were going to be the enclosure and the light emitting diode display (liquid crystal displays were still just around the corner). The solution turned out to be buying some inexpensive Texas Instrument calculators and using the calculator case, on/off switch, and LED display with a new printed circuit board that preformed the necessary functions. This allowed us to price it attractively. I might add that Ansel Adams thought it was pretty cool.

It was far cheaper to buy a completed product, use the parts that fit our needs and discard the rest than it would have been to buy the components separately.