How can I use an Arduino Uno in a vacuum?

RF Fox

Joined May 23, 2018
I'm planning on making a weather balloon payload that will work as a ham radio repeater. I want to have a method to log temperature and altitude data , I was thinking this could be done with a DHT11 and some GPS receiver and SD module for the arduino , however when testing in a vacuum chamber, at -20 inHg the Arduino stopped working. It turned off and it will not power back on. Capacitors look fine and im sure it did not overheat. Why is this happened and how can I prevent it?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm planning on making a weather balloon payload that will work as a ham radio repeater. I want to have a method to log temperature and altitude data , I was thinking this could be done with a DHT11 and some GPS receiver and SD module for the arduino , however when testing in a vacuum chamber, at -20 inHg the Arduino stopped working. It turned off and it will not power back on. Capacitors look fine and im sure it did not overheat. Why is this happened and how can I prevent it?
AFAIK: People already do stuff like that.

There's a fairly good chance of losing your Arduino board anyway, and they're not seriously expensive - I'd just "suck it and see", see what if any problems arise and deal with them as required.

There might be something published in RSGB and ARRL circles.

RF Fox

Joined May 23, 2018

There's a fairly good chance of losing your Arduino board anyway, and they're not seriously expensive - I'd just "suck it and see", see what if any problems arise and deal with them as required.

Yup I'm not to worried about the cost , but I'd love to have that data

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

Yep, that the sort of mechanical engineers I work for. Once the frame is assembled, we the electrical assembly, have to figure out how to run motor and sensor cables. No thought is given to the future.