How can I process video from camera module via FPGA to Android Device

Zphx

Joined Mar 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

My main goal is to try viewing live video from the camera module to an android device via wifi with an FPGA board.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start, perhaps suggestions in a specific FPGA board.
Any other suggestions on this project would be greatly appreciated.

I have been considering using a zedboard as described in the link below:
http://store.digilentinc.com/zedboard-zynq-7000-arm-fpga-soc-development-board/

Thank you in advance.

Jesse

Zphx

Joined Mar 8, 2016
I am open to suggestions, so if there is another way of completing such a process that involves roughly the same amount of learning experience, then I would gladly like to hear it.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I am open to suggestions, so if there is another way of completing such a process that involves roughly the same amount of learning experience, then I would gladly like to hear it.
Your description is too vague. I have been streaming from a cam, attached to pc, to another pc about 8 years ago, and I am not any kind of tech pioneer. Since you are on the LAN use VLC to stream:
http://www.howtogeek.com/118075/how-to-stream-videos-and-music-over-the-network-using-vlc/

and web interface to play/stop/ff/rev:
http://www.howtogeek.com/117261/how...rom-a-browser-use-any-smartphone-as-a-remote/

If cam is digital, hook it up to old pc with wifi card. If cam is analog, hook it to digitzer, hook digitizier/compressor (pc card or external box with usb) to old pc with wifi card. Or hook up old pc to wifi router with a cable.

My main source of confusion is: process video.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It sounds like the level at which you plan to operate is going to require a detailed understanding of the video format as well as the signaling format. Do you have (and understand) all of that information?

Or do you at least know that it is a case where if you simply echo the data that is going from the camera to the Android that your system already as the ability to interpret and render it?

Zphx

Joined Mar 8, 2016
I would say that I am attempting to just "echo the data" if possible.

With the exception that I may be missing some topics to consider:
The camera module functions as an input source sending data information to the FPGA board, which interprets that data to echo through a wifi card (also attached to the FPGA board) which can then be received by the Android device and processed to view live camera video.

I hope that makes sense, I don't think that I would necessarily need to have a strong sense of digital signal processing, but just enough to carry the cameras data information from the board to android. Of course, I would assume I would need to have an understand in computer networks and how each device can talk with one another ( I am prepared to study thoroughly into that topic).

A classmate of mine had attempted to use an Arduino board with this kind of scenario but has yet to succeed. So I am trying to see if there has been anyone who has accomplished (or knows) what all might be involved in this type of project.