How can I mod a camera which accepts rectangular batteries to accept AA/AAA batteries?

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
How can I mod a camera which accepts rectangular batteries to accept AA/AAA batteries? The rectangular battery has 3 contacts on it's batteries, I'm thinking of 3D printing a shell for the camera, because body of the camera cannot accommodate AA/AAA batteries, I want to know how to mod the PCB to accept AA/AAA batteries.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Without knowing anything else, go for an external battery box and cable. Modify camera for cable socket.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Without knowing the camera and existing battery there is no way to even begin to answer that question. Battery voltage of existing rectangle battery would be a good start along with battery type (chemistry) and actual battery part number. The camera was designed the way it was for a reason. You may want to read this and then try again.

Ron

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Without knowing anything else, go for an external battery box and cable. Modify camera for cable socket.
What voltage does the camera need?
Do you know the function of all three contacts?
No

Does the camera have a DC input jack
Without knowing the camera and existing battery there is no way to even begin to answer that question. Battery voltage of existing rectangle battery would be a good start along with battery type (chemistry) and actual battery part number. The camera was designed the way it was for a reason. You may want to read this and then try again.

Ron
Camera is Canon Ixus 285 HS

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
What is the reason camera manufacturers are using these type of batteries in their cameras? Earlier they used to have AA/AAA battery compartment in their cameras, is this a strategy to force people to buy new cameras.

Before this camera, I had another camera which accepted similar rectangular battery, initially it used to hold charge for few hours for 2 years then it could barely hold charge for 10 minutes.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What is the reason camera manufacturers are using these type of batteries in their cameras? Earlier they used to have AA/AAA battery compartment in their cameras, is this a strategy to force people to buy new cameras.

Before this camera, I had another camera which accepted similar rectangular battery, initially it used to hold charge for few hours for 2 years then it could barely hold charge for 10 minutes.
Time and technology moves on. Ordinary batteries don't not have the appropriate characteristics for a modern camera.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
  1. Battery chemistry
  2. Battery capacity
  3. Internal resistance
  4. Rechargeable
  5. Power density
  6. Weight
  7. Volume
Checkout Battery University for more details on battery performance and other useful information.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
  1. Battery chemistry
  2. Battery capacity
  3. Internal resistance
  4. Rechargeable
  5. Power density
  6. Weight
  7. Volume
Checkout Battery University for more details on battery performance and other useful information.
A single rechargeable AA batteries can hold up to 2500 mAh, a single rechargeable AAA battery can hold up to 1400 mAh, they may use different chemicals than lithium-ion batteries but they don't pose any more challenge in designing the camera. I doubt they'd increase the weight of the camera significantly. If they designed the camera around AA/AAA batteries, a user can at least use the camera for few decades than it is possible with their rectangular batteries, if they discontinue the battery, the camera becomes useless, all the money spent on it would be as good as they went down the drain.

Thanks for information about Battery University, I'll look into it.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
The battery is a NB-11L 3.6V 650mA, Lithium ion, i would just get another new battery as a spare .
I can get another battery but it will also die after few years, at that time they may not sell it. Having experience with designing a mod to make it accept AA/AAA might be more future proof.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Rechargeable AAs cannot produce anywhere near the current that a similar capacity Li Ion can. They may not run the camera at all. You would be batter off to make an external pack using a standard size Li Ion battery.

I experienced that problem when I tried ti replace NiCad batteries with smaller lighter NiMH having twice the capacity. They would not run the drill at all.

Bob

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Time and technology moves on. Ordinary batteries don't not have the appropriate characteristics for a modern camera.
Replacement batteries for Canon point and shoot cameras are readily available very cheaply. It makes no sense to do anything other than buy one or two new ones. I can’t imagine why you want to undertake this.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I agree with the others. I have two Canon cameras. EOS 10D and EOS 7D both us the rechargeable Lithium Ion battery packs. I just always keep an extra battery fully charged in my camera's bags. You have, as mentioned a 3.7 volt 600 mAH battery. You are not going to be able to replace that battery with AA let alone AAA batteries. A two pack of your battery cost about $15 USD and a new battery and charger about the same. Leave your camera body alone and do not try and modify it.

Years ago I had a Nikon that used AA batteries. It literally ate them. I needed a bag full of batteries. AA and AAA batteries deliver very low current and in a camera have a short life.

Ron

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I agree with the others. I have two Canon cameras. EOS 10D and EOS 7D both us the rechargeable Lithium Ion battery packs. I just always keep an extra battery fully charged in my camera's bags. You have, as mentioned a 3.7 volt 600 mAH battery. You are not going to be able to replace that battery with AA let alone AAA batteries. A two pack of your battery cost about $15 USD and a new battery and charger about the same. Leave your camera body alone and do not try and modify it.

Years ago I had a Nikon that used AA batteries. It literally ate them. I needed a bag full of batteries. AA and AAA batteries deliver very low current and in a camera have a short life.

Ron
My first and by far, one the best I ever bought, a Nikon, used its own rechargeable batteries. The manual said that it could be used with AA (or AAA) batteries (I never know who is who there) but for very few pictures. I recall doing that once or twice in an emergency in my work. Carried always a pair fully charged to avoid that.