How can I control an electric motors speed?

A.C. Alden

Joined Apr 10, 2018
I am surprised on the performance at low RPM, by the sound of that the motor is exhibiting it appears to be a SCR bridge version.:(
The PWM versions are whisper quiet, and I can control them down to zero rpm.:cool:
Max.
awesome I'll have to find a PWM version one day. I mainly went with this one because of that threaded end of the shaft. That's something I can work with... not sure if others have the same thing just hidden under that wheel thing. I would definitely like to have it full control.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I mainly went with this one because of that threaded end of the shaft. ... not sure if others have the same thing just hidden under that wheel thing. .
What does the threaded shaft have to do with the controller?o_O
By PWM I was referring to the controller, not the motor.
As to the reason for the threaded shaft is that is where the flywheel is mounted to, also why most T.M. motors specify unidirectional if the flywheel is retained.
Max.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Surplus Center catalog shows 19 TM Icon motors, all " reversible rotation ", most with flywheels & threaded shafts.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would guess they have never powered them up at full rpm in 'reverse' with a flywheel attached, :confused: quite the spectacle, they usually weigh in at close to 20lb.:eek:
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I would guess they have never powered them up at full rpm in 'reverse' with a flywheel attached, :confused: quite the spectacle, they usually weigh in at close to 20lb.:eek:
Max.
Imagine the counter-shock! ... I bet they're first braked by shortening their leads through a resistor before applying reverse power.