How can i build a Remote tracker

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Please i want to work on a project that allows me to track and recieve real time gps co-ordinates of people as it is in telemedicine. The project is such that the human beings can be seen from a very long range of say 10,000km or more in as much as de wear a very small gear like the i-buttons. Moreover, the system would incorporate how to tell if they are in trouble or well. I want to develop this project around remote areas, where there is no already laid communication network. Please i need help from any expert who is working on that already or has done it before.
Thank you

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
There are already GPS trackers used by hikers in remote areas that can be monitored elsewhere in the world. They incorporate buttons to tell the remote monitoring system that they need help.
Please define "incorporate how to tell if they are in trouble or well".
Ken

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
There are already GPS trackers used by hikers in remote areas that can be monitored elsewhere in the world. They incorporate buttons to tell the remote monitoring system that they need help.
Ken
Thank you very much, your information is almost enough. Except that you did not tell me the exact names of the ones you were referring to and how they work. By "incorporate how to tell if they are in trouble or well" i meant a sytem or means through which the person wearing the gear can communicate back to the monitoring station, especially when they get into trouble.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Ken
Apparently; you can also buy GPS trackers for a cat collar so you know where your pets go.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
you can also buy GPS trackers for a cat collar so you know where your pets go.
Yebbut, the cat doesn't have a thumb to press the call for help button.:D
But seriously, I read that there are military rigs that have sensors to report on the soldier's health like blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, temperature.
Therefore, it is possible. I see a difficulty in implementing a system like that in "remote areas, where there is no already laid communication network". I don't think it is practical or legal to make dozens of transmitters with a 6000 mile range, so I think you will need to use satellite communication. I'm thinking about EPIRB technology. That's a device to call for help from the ocean, where there are no wires available for the signal. And that's about all I have. I hope you can pick out some useful information from this.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Google: hiking GPS tracking device
Read the descriptions and operations. There are tons of them. They require a subscription ($$) to communicate back to the monitor.
Ken

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is not clear to me what your intentions are. If you plan to develop custom hardware from scratch, then I think your prospects are dim unless you have a raft of knowledge about RF technology and a fat wallet to purchase the equipment you will need. If you want to use existing modules, then where is your value add.

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
It is not clear to me what your intentions are. If you plan to develop custom hardware from scratch, then I think your prospects are dim unless you have a raft of knowledge about RF technology and a fat wallet to purchase the equipment you will need. If you want to use existing modules, then where is your value add.
Well i actually intend to design from scratch using RF technology and satellite communication hints. As for the wallet its not a problem, i want to have a working model first.

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Yebbut, the cat doesn't have a thumb to press the call for help button.:D
But seriously, I read that there are military rigs that have sensors to report on the soldier's health like blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, temperature.
Therefore, it is possible. I see a difficulty in implementing a system like that in "remote areas, where there is no already laid communication network". I don't think it is practical or legal to make dozens of transmitters with a 6000 mile range, so I think you will need to use satellite communication. I'm thinking about EPIRB technology. That's a device to call for help from the ocean, where there are no wires available for the signal. And that's about all I have. I hope you can pick out some useful information from this.
Thank you please.
Please could you help me with a link of where you read about the military rig. That could help alot

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I guess the first question to ask is what spectrum do you think is available that you could use. People who own or lease the practical areas of the RF spectrum are a bit touchy about poachers, and without an allocation that you own or lease, that is what you would be. If you have no clue about that then my next recommendation is to get an Amateur Radio License so you can at least experiment with the technology. You can't do anything commercial with it, but you are a long way from having to worry about that.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Well i actually intend to design from scratch using RF technology and satellite communication hints. As for the wallet its not a problem, i want to have a working model first.
From your posts, it appears that you have no knowledge of the field, only a vague concept of something that is already been done. What are you thinking of doing to improve on the dozens of existing units made by many high-end manufacturers? The military units are designed to be "bullet proof" at great expense, and are supported by governments.

Ken