Newbie: help needed to build a remote activated audio/mechanical bird table scarer

Mikezoe65

Joined Jun 18, 2016
I have scoured these pages and more widely for a wireless activated device which would sit on or near a garden bird table and which would when a handheld switch was operated sound a frightening sound (distressed pigeon call) AND via a miniature 3v single revolution motor spindle create movement of say a few strands of silver foil essential to frighten particularly unwelcome species such as crows and pigeons. The sonic element I have achieved using a wireless doorbell from Siemens JSJS214 (replacing the MP3 chimes) but I am unable to take it further with the mechanical adaption. Clearly I need to detect the triggering of the sound and, perhaps via a relay, trigger a geared miniature 1 or 2 turn 3v motor which could reside within the empty barrel (spindle protruding through the side). I am convinced that within the overall idea lies a commercial possibility as a number of my friends say they would buy such a device if it were to come on the market. Sadly I can't find the circuit for this door alarm - is it likely to be complex? I would welcome interest from a student competent to take this forward either as an adaption or a new design.image.jpeg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If I was doing this and wanted a quick solution, I'd use home automation equipment such as the iHome Smartplug, which is a remotely controlled outlet. I have one and have been playing with it, using my iPhone to control it over the Internet. It works great!

Mikezoe65

Joined Jun 18, 2016
Good thought on remote element but my 96 yr old mother doesn't have a smartphone nor does she want a mains lead running to the bird table!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you've already hacked the wireless doorbell to trigger the sound, why not use it to trigger the motor action too?

Mikezoe65

Joined Jun 18, 2016
The unit is sold able via USB and a PC to change "tunes" - hardly a hack! LOL
But you are right that it should be possible to use the power to trigger the sound also to send a burst of power from the 2 C batteries ie 3v to turn the motor. But exactly how?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Internally there is a point in the circuit (or software) where the radio signal is received and declared valid. This then enables the sound generator circuit (or software). That point could be used to drive a small motor, but that point will be difficult to find without the device schematic. The next option is to use what you do have access to - the speakers. First, are they real speakers or piezo disks? Either way a small circuit can detect the audio signal and turn this into a constant DC signal that then connects the battery to the motor. Since you will have to open up the doorbell receiver anyway, can you post photos of its guts?

ak

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Rather than trying to hack the wireless door bell to drive a motor, it is easier to use an off-the-shelf remote control module with a relay output and use that to drive a cheap MP3 player module and a motor.

Last edited: