Need an Electronics guru to build me a remote control for my scoreboard

RandyP

Joined Jan 12, 2019
I own an indoor soccer facility and when I bought my scoreboard, I was told it had a handheld, wireless, remote control. What I received was a desktop, wireless remote control. It is way to big for my referees to carry this in their hand or pockets.
All I need this remote control to do is start and stop the clock, add to the visitor and home scores as well as take away points when an incorrect entry is made. Obviously it has those capabilites as the desk top model works fine. Our goal is for the concession staff to the start time and when the ref is ready he or she will start the clock and keep track of with the scores. I have no clue how to do this but I just don't see how it could be that hard for someone knowledgeable in electronics.
IF you know of someone who has the talents to build this I would certainly like to speak with them

Thanks
Randy

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
When you say desktop, do you mean an application running on a computer and communicating over wifi? If not, how does the remote talk to the scoreboard?

RandyP

Joined Jan 12, 2019
When you say desktop, do you mean an application running on a computer and communicating over wifi? If not, how does the remote talk to the scoreboard?

I'm sorry about my poor choice of words. No this does not work via Computer nor Wi-Fi. Desktop only refers to the size of the controller and the fact it was made to be used from the Scorers table. It's probably an 8" square and about 2" thick.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm sorry about my poor choice of words. No this does not work via Computer nor Wi-Fi. Desktop only refers to the size of the controller and the fact it was made to be used from the Scorers table. It's probably an 8" square and about 2" thick.
Ah, got it. And is it a radio remote, or a shorter range, line-of-sight IR remote like most TV remotes?

I'm wondering if a universal remote or a programmable remote could be found that is compatible. That would at least open up a bunch of options. Rebuilding the functionality of your remote from scratch - in a smaller package - is not a simple project. What you want in my opinion is something off the shelf or a slight hack of such.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
when I bought my scoreboard, I was told it had a handheld, wireless, remote control. What I received was a desktop, wireless remote control. It is way to big for my referees to carry this in their hand or pockets.
Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they have this accessory? You can't be the first to have wanted something more portable.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I know nothing of your equipment.....but the first thing I would is get all paperwork possible on the unit.

If no info on the wireless link is with that paperwork......You might find it with a SDR dongle. I would guess that a scoreboard link will be RF. Not light or IR or wifi.

There have been so many improvements with SDR demodulation modules, there might even be a decoder for it. I haven't checked for a while.

But you will need to know the frequency and mode of the link. Then we look for a solution.