Horizon treadmill - motor control board problem

Same control board problem here.... Any electronic "gurus" willing to fix mine? I'll pay for shipping and return. Email me an proposal for parts and labor. (maybe there is a businees op. here)

Had a good experience with someone on ebay to fix my instrument cluster on my truck (dealer wanted $600; some guy in TX fixed it for $60, 1 week total turnaround, awesome!). <SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Same control board problem here.... Any electronic "gurus" willing to fix mine? I'll pay for shipping and return. Email me an proposal for parts and labor. (maybe there is a businees op. here)

Had a good experience with someone on ebay to fix my instrument cluster on my truck (dealer wanted $600; some guy in TX fixed it for $60, 1 week total turnaround, awesome!). <SNIP>
If u can't fix it...send it my way. :D

dca860

Joined Apr 22, 2011
Saw your post and wondered if you figured out your motor control board. I know this board, so let me know if you have questions. There is no voltage doubler on this board, and the 20vdc you read on the motor pins, is a dc bias voltage on the DC voltage rail. This rail goes up to 165vdc when the safety relay energizes. This relay will not activate if the kickback diode or driving FET are blown, which is usually the case.....
:rolleyes:
As you kind of volunteered your relevant knowledge of this board, can I ask for some help please?
I have a Horizon Omega CS treadmill
My machine's belt drive works fine - but it no longer operates incline/decline.
Control panel appears fine.
Stripping it down, the elevation motor gets very hot but does not work/rotate but I'm happy it is not faulty as it works in both directions fine when you connect it up directly to 230v (red/white, black/white)
I'm relatively sure it is the control board at fault.
Any thoughts (I am OK at replacing components) as to which of the twin boards is likely to be at fault and where I should start? (I have a decent multimeter and an old oscilloscope).
Picture of my boards attached.

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
As you kind of volunteered your relevant knowledge of this board, can I ask for some help please?
I have a Horizon Omega CS treadmill
My machine's belt drive works fine - but it no longer operates incline/decline.
Control panel appears fine.
Stripping it down, the elevation motor gets very hot but does not work/rotate but I'm happy it is not faulty as it works in both directions fine when you connect it up directly to 230v (red/white, black/white)
I'm relatively sure it is the control board at fault.
Any thoughts (I am OK at replacing components) as to which of the twin boards is likely to be at fault and where I should start? (I have a decent multimeter and an old oscilloscope).
Picture of my boards attached.
No Hijacking please.
Start ur own thread and we'll help

thor2020

Joined Aug 3, 2011
R!f@@ - as of yesterday I now have two of these 013674-DG board failures -the failures are identical with one of the boards popping the mosfet. Can you give me an estimate on fixing my boards - I am Ohio, west of Pittsburgh

jigc23

Joined May 8, 2011
If u can't fix it...send it my way. :D
Hi, I found this thread about the motor board problem and need help with this board as the other members, I've been looking for this board all over the internet but no luck for less than the $200 they're asking for. I bought this treadmill used for $300 an d now the thing blew up on me and don't want to spend that much for the board. If you can help me fix please quote me on parts labor and shipping I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
R!f@@ - as of yesterday I now have two of these 013674-DG board failures -the failures are identical with one of the boards popping the mosfet. Can you give me an estimate on fixing my boards - I am Ohio, west of Pittsburgh
I can be sure that cost is less than the shipping from Ohio :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi, I found this thread about the motor board problem and need help with this board as the other members, I've been looking for this board all over the internet but no luck for less than the $200 they're asking for. I bought this treadmill used for $300 an d now the thing blew up on me and don't want to spend that much for the board. If you can help me fix please quote me on parts labor and shipping I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
I guess I need to see this thread often..Mods can we do something about these kinda issues if u please.

To jigc23
Before that do u think u can handle a guide so u can fix it first. Second open a new thread. I will be back after 15min

jigc23

Joined May 8, 2011
thanks for your reply. I have basic electronics knowledge and soldering skills therefore I think I can follow on a guide. I will open a new thread regarding this matter. Thank you

trini1

Joined Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Before I explain my problem, please note that I am not an electronics engineer, but like to tinker - and have a BASIC understading of electronics.

Now onto my problem :)

I have a Horizon Paragon 2 HRC treadmill with a 013674-DG motor control board. The treadmill lights up as normal, incline function operates fine, BUT belt motor will not start.

I removed the leads to the motor from the control board and connected my multimeter. There is 19v DC at the motor terminals when the treadmill is turned on but not running - when "Start" is pressed on the treadmill, the voltage rises to 20.5V DC. I tested the motor with a 24v DC 15A supply (which I made from an old ATX PC Power supply - thanks instructables.com) and it spins ok, so I'm pretty confident the motor isn't the problem.

I have checked all the diodes in circuit (in situ) and they appear ok (readings one way, open circuit the other - checks one on the diode setting on the multimeter). If I increase the treadmill speed the voltage at the motor terminals doesn't increase (which I presumed it would, to make the motor increase in speed - as the belt motor is rated 180V DC).

Can anyone give me any insight as to what components to check next, or have had a similar problem and found a solution?

I have also noticed, on the board between the two large capacitor are two LED's. The one nearest the motor spade terminals is illuminated (but not at full brightness) when the treadmill is turned on, but not running. When running the LED goes out. The LED nearest the fuse never illuminates.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)
Try replacing the rectifer and mosfet at the same time and see what happen.

trini1

Joined Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Before I explain my problem, please note that I am not an electronics engineer, but like to tinker - and have a BASIC understading of electronics.

Now onto my problem :)

I have a Horizon Paragon 2 HRC treadmill with a 013674-DG motor control board. The treadmill lights up as normal, incline function operates fine, BUT belt motor will not start.

I removed the leads to the motor from the control board and connected my multimeter. There is 19v DC at the motor terminals when the treadmill is turned on but not running - when "Start" is pressed on the treadmill, the voltage rises to 20.5V DC. I tested the motor with a 24v DC 15A supply (which I made from an old ATX PC Power supply - thanks instructables.com) and it spins ok, so I'm pretty confident the motor isn't the problem.

I have checked all the diodes in circuit (in situ) and they appear ok (readings one way, open circuit the other - checks one on the diode setting on the multimeter). If I increase the treadmill speed the voltage at the motor terminals doesn't increase (which I presumed it would, to make the motor increase in speed - as the belt motor is rated 180V DC).

Can anyone give me any insight as to what components to check next, or have had a similar problem and found a solution?

I have also noticed, on the board between the two large capacitor are two LED's. The one nearest the motor spade terminals is illuminated (but not at full brightness) when the treadmill is turned on, but not running. When running the LED goes out. The LED nearest the fuse never illuminates.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)
try replacing the rectifer and the mosfet and see what happen

SC5.1T

Joined Sep 17, 2012
Hi Jatinah,
I have experienced at least 6 failures of the Motor Control Board of my Horizon Fitness 5.1.T treadmil...every time I changed the board all together as Horizon provided me with free of charge boards after I proved to them that I changed the deck, walking belt, lubricated by the maintenance schedule...all the good things to reduce friction.
However, the last MCB Horizon didn't accept to supply a new board...since I was not willing to pay 200$ or so, i went on the forum and I've noticed your related messages...followed your advice, replaced the switching FET the Kickback Diode IRFP250 and the 2 schottky diodes and indeed the it work....however, 10 days later it failed again...my understanding is that you have the schematic of this board and you are willing to share it...I am at the point where I would like to better understand the root cause of these failures...do you have any suggestion of what makes the kickback diode and the FET to faiL..Thank you!

Thank you for your prompt and informative answer. I have incuded a link to a photo of the board, just in case anyone recogises it from another device and has had similar problems.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc190/DangerousDaz/DSCF1978.jpg
Hi:
My wifes Treadmill is exactly the same board that you had your problem with, I was hoping (to save $300) for an entire new board that you could point out which components you replaced so that I don't have to go through the extra expense.
Thanks.
I'm new at electronics, yet can do basic soldering and connections

Hi Jatinah,
I have experienced at least 6 failures of the Motor Control Board of my Horizon Fitness 5.1.T treadmil...every time I changed the board all together as Horizon provided me with free of charge boards after I proved to them that I changed the deck, walking belt, lubricated by the maintenance schedule...all the good things to reduce friction.
However, the last MCB Horizon didn't accept to supply a new board...since I was not willing to pay 200$ or so, i went on the forum and I've noticed your related messages...followed your advice, replaced the switching FET the Kickback Diode IRFP250 and the 2 schottky diodes and indeed the it work....however, 10 days later it failed again...my understanding is that you have the schematic of this board and you are willing to share it...I am at the point where I would like to better understand the root cause of these failures...do you have any suggestion of what makes the kickback diode and the FET to faiL..Thank you!
I too am having the same problem.. did you ever get an answer or a schematic to find out the problem with this board?
I have gone through 2 of these $300 service calls and have just about had it.
Thanks
Chris

techknow

Joined Aug 14, 2013
I am having similar problem with Horizon T40 pcb. I have changed the scr and it's
controller but still no motor ops. What else could be wrong. LED's light and relay
clicks.

Last edited:
Have similar problems with this Treadmill control board. I will be tackling the power components soon but I have a problem getting a value for two burnt resistors on Pcb.
R.3 which is opposite the S6025L (SCR )
R.17 which is near the red led "DOWN"

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Thank you MaxHeadRoom for replying to me eventhough I did not supply enough info.
I suppose I was not very optimistic as regards getting replies.

YOU GOT ME GOING !!!! That is the Board in the photograph.

I put in preset resistors and got lucky.
Put in 10 k for R.3 ( scr gate )
I would still love to find out what component U.1 is. ( OPTO ISOLATOR ?)

This unit belongs to a friend and has been in my workshop for 3 years. I failed a few times previously when I tackled it. Its only "a thank you job" but this gadget is in my way and I will be glad to to give it back. I build Motor control/Process control /Plc panels and I need the space . I cursed that Treadmill more than a few times. Its very heavy .

Without your help , I was at nothing. " A straw can save a drowning man"

Thanks again.

Rydforlyf

Joined Nov 4, 2020
New to the forum and of course my first post is to a 9 year old thread.
However, I have the same dead board. It is clearly obvious that D6 is fried which as I understand takes out Q5. The previous thread also mentions the shottky diodes, but I'm not familiar with them so don't know how to locate them. I've tested all the diodes I can and they all test good on the board.

My next challenge is to locate the parts without having to buy in bulk.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
ED85E3B3-AAC3-4C2F-A54C-76F0D946963A.jpeg