Horizon T82 treadmill -- incline motor not working.

crazybrit

Joined Aug 10, 2020
I have a Horizon T82 from 2007. It was given to us for free as the on/off switch was iffy. I replaced it but while moving it in pieces down the narrow stairs to our basement, something happened and the incline feature stopped working correctly.

I found this service manual (link) online for the Horizon T61 (2006). It seems very similar. On page 18 there is a breakdown of the cable that connects from the upper console to the lower pcb. Visually it matches my T82.

Using this service manual I was able to figure out how to get into Engineering mode. Unfortunately there is no information about what is being displayed on the screen. Horizon sent me the attached JPG ("Treadmill engineering menu") which is for the T82 but again it has no details on what is being displayed. In EN91 hardware test mode I see 3 vertical lines on the display with one line missing but I don't know if this is signifying anything. There are some numbers but I don't know what they mean. Horizon had no clue.

I took the incline motor out and flipped it upside down (as pictured) for testing. it is set with one screw thread exposed.

If I engage the up incline in EN91 hardware test mode the incline motor turns and I see 1.25V on B12 (T61 manual says I should see 1.9V but that's for the T61). If I press the down incline button I get a beep from the speaker acknowledging I pressed a key but the incline motor doesn't turn and I see no voltage on B11.

I also see nothing on pins B1 and B2 even when the up incline is operating.

I ohm'd out each pin of the cable from the upper board to the lower and everything is good.

If I exit engineering mode and start the belt, sometimes the incline motor does nothing and other times it spins endlessly). Again this is one thread exposed but the other end of the shaft isn't attached, so I'm not sure if homing can work correctly?

Any advice welcomed.

Attachments:
- T61 cable.jpg (is page 18 of the 2006 T61 service manual) showing the cable pinouts which seem the same as on my T82.
- T82 treadmill engineering.jpg is what Horizon sent me for T61 engineering mode but it doesn't address what is displayed
- ENG91 display on T82.jpg is what is shown on the display when I enter T61 engineering mode.
- T82 upper pcb
- T82 lower pcb, unfortunately it does not have the 5 LEDs mentioned in the T61 service manual (LED4/LED5 supposedly light when the upper board is requesting incline up/down).
- incline motor. Showing the incline motor flipped upside down, shaft not connected.

Attachments

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
Well, lets remember there is a specific amount of "Sleeve" space to the top of the motor case when you are ready to re-install that lift, it's NOT as easy as simply screwing that one back in.
Lift motors come from the factory "SET", once removed, if the sleeve spins, you get to reset it before you connect the lift in place again. Google installing horizon lift motor for details.
Then, The lift has 3 bigger wires and 3 smaller wires. The bigger wires are red, white, black.
With a meter, measure white to red, this equals 17-ohms maybe?
With a meter, measure white to black, this equals 17-ohms maybe?
With a meter, measure RED to BLACK wires, this equals 35-ohms maybe?
The smaller wires are connected to a potentiometer inside that lift assembly, and for goodness sakes, do NOT open up and start removing gears inside that lift, they are set up, have limit switches, and rectifying diodes inside there, no user playable parts inside.
If you look on the PCB, the larger wires plug into a 4 pin connector populated with 3 pins. The black relays drive those pins according to direction requested from the console. If the command from the console doesn't get to the lower board, the lift doesn't move. The transistors driving the relays are set up as an Exclusive-Drive pair, allowing only one direction at a time, locking-out the opposite direction so we don't oppose windings inside the motor.
Usually, we find the commands from the upper at fault, and not the lift motor or lower board at all. Finding the fault does require an oscilloscope for tracing signals. Good Luck