Horizon CT 7.0 Motor Control Board Johnson Fitness JDYF02L REVg - Repaired

usagoal

Joined Nov 26, 2020
I would like to thank those involved with this thread https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ol-board-johnson-fitness-jdyf02l-revg.110355/ for all the good information about this control board. By using a combination of info, test procedures and some troubleshooting logic I was able to make a successful repair. I dabble in electronics here and there and haven't even used an oscilloscope since college. It was satisfying to troubleshoot, test and learn/re-learn along the way. Here is a list of where I started in the troubleshooting process. I've also made a very rough and partial circuit diagram with information from the board and datasheets. I hope this can help someone also looking to fix their treadmill.

As usually, the treadmill "isn't working". It powers up and displays everything as normal, however when the start button is pressed (and a few beeps are heard to tell the user the belt is about to move) the motor does not start...most of the time. Sometimes there was movement but mostly nothing. Let's do all the preliminaries like check fuses, loose connections and other anomalies that may keep the motor from starting. All looks normal. I also put a meter on the output to the motor while attempting to start...nothing. All I can here is the relay turn on and after a brief timeout period, turns off. This was an indication to me that certain criteria is being met but a malfunction is preventing the motor from starting. I did also see the red LED turn on letting me know the motor rail has power. Thanks to the discussions from the above thread, the picture of how this board operates and the common failures becomes more apparent.

Time to test stuff! I powered down everything and let the capacitors discharge before removing the board. Since the mosfet Q4 and diode D4 were common failures I removed them both and tested on a breadboard. They both tested without a problem. Now I need to dive deeper into the circuitry of this board and HOW it actually works. For that I need a diagram. Since I could not locate a schematic online I decided to draw my own. I tried to be thorough with connections, component descriptions, part numbers, etc. Using my trusty multimeter and the continuity function, I was able to come up with a partial diagram involving most of the components related to turning on the motor (power and signal). Armed with this homemade piece of information it's time to put the board back in and do more testing.

As I mentioned before, I haven't used an oscilloscope since my electronics courses in college some 20'ish years ago. This is a problem. Enter google and the owner's manual. After some tinkering I followed the PWM signal all the way back to U2 pin 8. This is the spot where I could actually see a waveform on the oscilloscope when I hit the ON button for the board. So somewhere between pin 8 and the PWM test spot the signal is not making it's way through. I then looked at the optocoupler U4 as a possible failure source. I would occasionally get a signal every time I tested the "led" pin of the optocoupler. The only component between my two testing points is a resistor labeled R48 (220 ohm). All my problems can't be caused by a resistor?? I tested for continuity directly at the solder joints connecting R48 to the board. Seemed very erratic to say the least. Also tested resistance and found 350'ish ohms?? I decided to replace it.

Plugged everything back in and to my enjoyment the treadmill started to work again! It's now been over a week with daily use and no issues. Thanks again to those involved.

Attachments

Aeze

Joined Mar 12, 2021
Hello Folks¡ Good day to all¡

@usagoal I'm sure you felt amazing after fixing your machine¡¡ Congrats¡ and thank you very much for giving us your time to share this valuable information. It has been very useful to me.

I have a similar issue with a Horizon T101 board JDYFL REVg treadmill. If you have any opportunity to know my story and perhaps give me guidance I will be very grateful.

My wife treadmill turns on normally, console start, inclination works fine, but when I press Start the motor starts for 2 seconds and then stops. As I like to take things apart, and occasionally I like to put them back together again so I thought this would be easy as to change a FET or some old school resistor ... I was very, very wrong, these guys from Johnson & Johnson know well what they do. I was scared when i see the board as in my time there was no SMD ...

Reading @usagoal message and the ones from @MaxHeadRoom, @IamJatinah, and all this great community has given me great guidance and the motivation to repair it by myself but I have not been successful so far... maybe some good soul from this great community can help me with this

I done basic tests with the old school Fluke on every diode, resistor, SOT 23, relays (tested with 12v battery and all clicked), bridge rectifiers, electrolytic capacitor and FETs with no obvious shortages so far except for some details:

1. Two SMD resistors: R39 (reading is 29kΩ and should be 47kΩ) and R40 ((reading is 31kΩ and should be 62kΩ)
  2. 2 inflated capacitors: C19 and C20 (I replaced them with 1000 uF 25V ones as I couldn't find the original 820 uF 25V ones) is this good?
  3. I also replace the FET with a new IRFP260n as the previous one had very erratic readings.
  4. I don't know if I am testing SMD capacitors correctly, I am doing it with the DMM on capacitance, I get values from some of them but some others I get readings like 0uF I don’t know how to get the value of uF from each one as they are so small...
  5. I also tested the motor successfully with a 20V drill battery... however I am thinking of get a lab dc supply to make sure the motor works 100% ... Is this a good idea?
  6. I Also note that when I disconnect from the board both speed/light sensors and hit start, the motor turns on for almost 5-6 seconds instead of 2 (and I get 34v on R and B) ... when the sensors are connected I only get 5v for 2 seconds after pressing start.

With the information that I provide, did you guys think that is a good idea to replace the resistors? as im testing those ones on the board im not so sure if mi readings are good ones but all other smd resistors mark the expected result... @usagoal diagram helped me a lot but it also made me wonder if I'm looking in the wrong place and maybe I need to check somewhere else....

Excuse me folks if my English or definitions are not the best. I am just an old school very enthusiastic nerd with free time due to the pandemic so any question I’ll be glad to share.

Logical

Joined May 28, 2015
I am planning to buy a used "JDYF02L Johnson Fitness Motor Control Board - Horizon CST 3.5 Treadmill ". Will it work as-it-is in "Horizon T7.6 treadmill" or I will have to re-program it somehow? Both the boards, the board I am planning to buy and the one I currently have in my machine, have "JDYF02L REVg" printed on them.

Last edited:

araypointer

Joined Jul 23, 2023
I would like to thank those involved with this thread https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ol-board-johnson-fitness-jdyf02l-revg.110355/ for all the good information about this control board. By using a combination of info, test procedures and some troubleshooting logic I was able to make a successful repair. I dabble in electronics here and there and haven't even used an oscilloscope since college. It was satisfying to troubleshoot, test and learn/re-learn along the way. Here is a list of where I started in the troubleshooting process. I've also made a very rough and partial circuit diagram with information from the board and datasheets. I hope this can help someone also looking to fix their treadmill.

As usually, the treadmill "isn't working". It powers up and displays everything as normal, however when the start button is pressed (and a few beeps are heard to tell the user the belt is about to move) the motor does not start...most of the time. Sometimes there was movement but mostly nothing. Let's do all the preliminaries like check fuses, loose connections and other anomalies that may keep the motor from starting. All looks normal. I also put a meter on the output to the motor while attempting to start...nothing. All I can here is the relay turn on and after a brief timeout period, turns off. This was an indication to me that certain criteria is being met but a malfunction is preventing the motor from starting. I did also see the red LED turn on letting me know the motor rail has power. Thanks to the discussions from the above thread, the picture of how this board operates and the common failures becomes more apparent.

Time to test stuff! I powered down everything and let the capacitors discharge before removing the board. Since the mosfet Q4 and diode D4 were common failures I removed them both and tested on a breadboard. They both tested without a problem. Now I need to dive deeper into the circuitry of this board and HOW it actually works. For that I need a diagram. Since I could not locate a schematic online I decided to draw my own. I tried to be thorough with connections, component descriptions, part numbers, etc. Using my trusty multimeter and the continuity function, I was able to come up with a partial diagram involving most of the components related to turning on the motor (power and signal). Armed with this homemade piece of information it's time to put the board back in and do more testing.

As I mentioned before, I haven't used an oscilloscope since my electronics courses in college some 20'ish years ago. This is a problem. Enter google and the owner's manual. After some tinkering I followed the PWM signal all the way back to U2 pin 8. This is the spot where I could actually see a waveform on the oscilloscope when I hit the ON button for the board. So somewhere between pin 8 and the PWM test spot the signal is not making it's way through. I then looked at the optocoupler U4 as a possible failure source. I would occasionally get a signal every time I tested the "led" pin of the optocoupler. The only component between my two testing points is a resistor labeled R48 (220 ohm). All my problems can't be caused by a resistor?? I tested for continuity directly at the solder joints connecting R48 to the board. Seemed very erratic to say the least. Also tested resistance and found 350'ish ohms?? I decided to replace it.

Plugged everything back in and to my enjoyment the treadmill started to work again! It's now been over a week with daily use and no issues. Thanks again to those involved.
Got a treadmill with same controller board on a trash day. Initial check showed motor not running. Left it in my back patio for years. Trying to clean house but trash pick up gas limit of 70 lbs.
i started to look in to repair instead dismantle the machine.
Thanks the above link and your post.
mine also has a dead R48. Completely open for the 221 resister.

I started to troubleshoot the usual suspects on all the Power components and started to draw diagram myself. I should have registered earlier to see your diagram. Very helpful when i downloaded it today.
Before this, i got to the lethal side and comparator. And opto parts. Everything seemed fine. Had to disconnect the board many times to test and retrace the board. I dont see pwm signal to the receiving side of opto coupler. It has pull up voltage only. Board is covered with heavy white glue, making it difficult to trace the board.
i was about to see how i can tap the opto diode side to see where the pwm stopped. Then your diagram showed the ttl ic output to r48 and opto.
took me awhile to find the location of r48, tp4.
Like what you said. how could it be a resister problem. A simple resistor test revealed r48 is open.
need to find 220 omg replacement now. Maybe i will check pwm signal from U2 output after work tomorrow.
Note i know at least this resister is bad.

other fun findings. Controller has three separate ckts.
1, power side with nFet and kickback protection, highcurrent ratifier.
2, smps ckt of the 16v. This one does not look like have opto coupler feedback.
likely for medium power components such as upper board displays, and cooling fan for exercise.
The two optocouplers are for pwm pass over to power side and safety feedback from the 18v pre charge check, TL521.
3, the usual 7805 to get5v from the 16v smps to digital ckt side.
Took me awhile to figure how the safety system works since i have never used this treadmill. The L shape safety relay kicked in and then click of after 10sec.
motor won’t move.
if i manual move the belt after pressing the start button, the safety relay will continue to engage. This tells me how the feedback sensors are working. Eg: roller sensor, 177 teeth sped Senator, pwm generator, 16v supply, and the pot from incline. The irf260 fet to not switching on because it is not getting pwm signal. Bjts seems fine from onboard dvm tests. Not seeing pwm from receiving opto chip.
I just started to use a portable mini oscilloscope. Maybe i didn’t print correctly. Haha…. ( never have my own scope before, quite a newbie to use it).
Will see how repair will do. don’t have smd parts for flow station. R48 is on the edge so u could use standard iron to replace it.
will continue this fun.

usagoal

Joined Nov 26, 2020
I hope all goes well with your repair. For me, it was a nice challenge to resurrect what electronics knowledge I had in college. I find great satisfaction that this post was useful to someone at some level. Please keep us updated on your findings and if the repair was successful. This was a good machine for the 10 years that we had it.

araypointer

Joined Jul 23, 2023
I hope all goes well with your repair. For me, it was a nice challenge to resurrect what electronics knowledge I had in college. I find great satisfaction that this post was useful to someone at some level. Please keep us updated on your findings and if the repair was successful. This was a good machine for the 10 years that we had it.
[/QUOTE]
Finally got the replacement smd resistor. And it worked. Treadmill is running now.
had to trace the board stage by stage.
this failed resistor did not sense as TTL drives the opto led directly. Maybe the resistor wattage is under size. Will see how long this will run.
Thank you.
your info as well as IamJatinah helped a lot, and without those, i would be spending quite some more time to reinstalling the board to test and trace the ckt.
thats why i love internet of sharing knowledges. Please keep up the good work.

LandLine

Joined Feb 22, 2024
I bought off craigslist a Horizon T700 for $30. Low mileage and in like-new condition.
These are well made and heavy.
/begin diagnostic/
The belt drive motor does not spin up, everything else works ok. It has no tell-tale smoke smells.
I pulled the power/motor control board and checked everything mentioned in this thread. [Thanks guys!!]

Main power supply/motor control board bears ID JOHNSONFITNESS JDYF02L REV G
Heatsink also bears ID label with following:
(2.25-2.5)HP/110V JC07-001
SJDE080891F VER:H109S106
<barcode>
JC07MC0801AA01298

I do not have a full schematic so I am flying semi-blind with just malfuntion observation and my background in electronics.
I did not bother to take any voltage measurements prior to removing the assembly in prep for bench inspections.
A quick glance at the belt drive motor, there is a 1" dia. black plastic plug on top rear of the motor that allows viewing the brushes/armature, I see the brushes and armature are in excellent condition with very little wear.

Two crappy sheet metal screws fasten the heat sink/power module assembly to the bottom plate. These were loose enough to allow the heat sink to 'float' from the plate -which serves as part of the heat sink (it is slathered with white grease) so it is important that generated heat is dissipated away from the switching semiconductors. There is NO cooling fan.

After not finding anything wrong with suspect passives and semiconductors, I went on to check the [big white] 30A 250Vac main relay.
It's relay coil was open circuit. It bears p/n's JQX-105F-1 [Hongfa]. These are chinese and sell for <$5 + $5 shipping on ebay.
Digikey and Mouser do not list these as of this writing [Feb 2024] but they do have suitable alternates.

The pcb has 4 relays of which only 1 is the 30 amp 240VAC high current type. This connects power to the motor while (i suspect) the power mosfet Q4 modulates the energy to the belt servo motor as the speed control. The other three [black] relays probably control the up/down ramp servo and the smallest relay is likely the failsafe shutdown in event the magnetic safety key is pulled. I know that feature works since it 'panicked' when I pulled the key off while it was running.
All these relays [upper right corner of images] are 12Vdc coil, so since there is 12Vdc present for one of the relays it is safe to presume this control voltage is present throughout the pcb.

Fortunately, mechanical relays are dumb and can be replaced by anything that has the same or greater contact VAC rating and compatible coil current to operateIMG_1114.JPGIMG_1115.JPG AND can fit inside the enclosure using wires to connect the oddball relay footprint on the pcb to the relay.
The hongfa relay specs are 12Vdc 155 Ohm (~77mA) coil 30Amp 240VAC reactive or 15A 250VAC inductive. The 15A or greater inductive rating should be strictly applied because it is a brush motor inductive load.
Replacement of this part restored operation.
k

LandLine

Joined Feb 22, 2024
I used this relay:
"832AW-1A-F-C1 12VDC 30A 250VAC General Purpose Power Relay Heavy Duty Power Relay"
$8 From Amazon. It has a relay coil resistance of 508 ohms. It has fast-on 1/4" spade terminal connections.
Make a jumper wire set using no less than 16ga copper wire. Connect as needed.