Honda proprietary IC..any guesses on its function?

fr33spirit

Joined Sep 23, 2019
20200317_121401.jpg
This 56 pin (ic402) is from my 05 Acura TSX PCM. The car went into limp mode and after doing ALL diagnostics possible with normal results I decided to remove more interior trim from my car and the first piece I pulled out uncovered the drivers side of where the PCM was located. Here's what I saw: a majorly corroded outside housing on the PCM:20200212_095726.jpg

Once I got it opened up I found that this chip was loaded down with corrosion and maybe even rust..Here's a pic of that:IMG_20200310_123326~2.jpg

I'm guessing this chip has something to do with throttle control but searching different variations of the inscription online has produced no results so it appears to be a proprietary ic. I'm just wondering if anyone that knows how to read PCBs would be able to give me a guess at what they thought the chip controls?!
*Also if anyone has advice on whether this damaged chips pins could be cleaned up somehow I'd really like to know! One of the pins completely disintegrated..that or it got ripped off when I cleaned the board (even tho I tried to be gentle). The pin that's missing is pin 26 and pin 17 is lifted. I've found an old tv PCB with a chip that has similarly shaped pins and thought I might try to attach one of them to the pin 26 spot. I did hold a soldering iron to that one edge of pins to try seeing if the solder would rework itself some but I was in a rush and likely didn't have the iron hot enough.I was also afraid of further damaging it. How should I go about trying to attach the pins, if it's not a lost cause all together?

Oh and here's a shot of the layout of the entire top of the board:20200409_185510.jpg

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
It may be possible to find a replacement board that is in better condition. Try inquiring at a salvage yard that has a similar car, or even an identical board.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Which IC are you talking about? Is there a part number on it? Have you reverse engineered any kind of drawing showing what it might be connected to or what its function is? A little lore detail goes a long way. What year and model of Honda? Engine ECM?

fr33spirit

Joined Sep 23, 2019
I'm talking about the square shaped chip with 56 leads. The imprint is (or looks like) :
C2C8GE---the 8might be B
176 432102
It's shown best in the very top picture and its location in the pic of the whole board is near the top right corner (it's under the 8 prong chip in the very corner that says DIP to the left of it).
The car is an 05 Acura TSX automatic..k24 engine.
Im just curious whether anyone who can look at PCBs and follow what the components appear to do would have any idea whether this chip is likely to control the throttle somehow. I have no idea how to reverse engineer stuff.
I realize I could go to a pull your part and get a PCM but there's nobody who will take me to the one 2 hrs away that has this model car and I wa really hoping this one was salvageable somehow.

Never say never but I doubt you're going to be able to do anything with fixing that PCM. I'm not sharing any of this based on my abilities but based on what I've seen others do. I've seen some IC chips replaced with new and not require anything but replacement. I've seen others that need to be programmed before installation. I'm completely ignorant about why that is. Programming chips is proprietary though like you're aware. Those that program the chips don't get access to the programming for free so you'll be hard pressed to find the information needed. Finally, removing and replacing IC's isn't something that's done with a hardware store soldering iron. I've seen a tool that is something like a heat gun used and soldering irons that look like they're connected to a small desk top computer with a lot of controls and different readouts on them. I remember temperature and current but there were more readouts. I'm just guessing for you here, which is easy to do :^), but buying a new PCM may be your best bet.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Damage like that usually gets in the traces and does a lot of damage your not even seeing. Give a look at all the via's in the area. You will probably see a few, if not most all of them are actually decayed away. This means you'd need to jumper each of them. Since these ecu's are pretty cheap and plentiful. Replacement with same part number and then cloning security data out or just programming via obd2 is simplest option. I think I remember you from another forum. Its been awhile. Did you just get this thing apart?

The chip you asked about looks like masked Renesas mcu to me. Reading/Writing is possible but the tools I use for them are not cheap. Doubt its worth it for you to pursue that option.

Last edited:

fr33spirit

Joined Sep 23, 2019
Damage like that usually gets in the traces and does a lot of damage your not even seeing. Give a look at all the via's in the are. You will probably see a few if not most all of them are actually decayed away. This means you'd need to jumper each of them. Since these ecu's are pretty cheap and plentiful. Replacement with same part number and then cloning security data out or just programming via obd2 is simplest option. I think I remember you from another forum. Its been awhile. Did you just get this thing apart?

The chip you asked about looks like masked Renesas mcu to me. Reading/Writing is possible but the tools I use for them are not cheap. Doubt its worth it for you to pursue that option.