Honda EG1200X genset -- no 240VAC

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
I've aquired one of these recently. The motor runs fine. It's missing the gpo's, switches and everything else from the Carb side of the power outlet box on top of the alternator. I guess that stuff is for a 12VDC supply, and there's a connection problem for the 240V other side of the box because something critical is missing. Any advice on substituting what's missing will be gratefully recieved. The plastic root connector block is in situ, but has no outgoing plug. PS I do not know if this genset has brushes or requires a minimum load to produce its full output voltage. Pls advise.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
update #1
no brusholder installed, slip rings filthy but have minor wear. 4x2 male spade connector block in power box has no female connector, but is fully terminated into, nothing from. Grey 3 pin in line connector with 2 wires looks like brush connector? Has a 7 digit phone number on it-they went abt 20 yrs ago here in Perth? Prob when mobiles came out. It's old as..... side shrouds missing from alt body, and alt fan chamber holed--things, inc regulator, could have go very hot. I doubt its a cheap model using the base common parts but without all the features of the better/bigger ones just to fill in the "toy user" market. It does not have a 12V o/p.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
update #1
no brusholder installed, slip rings filthy but have minor wear. 4x2 male spade connector block in power box has no female connector, but is fully terminated into, nothing from. Grey 3 pin in line connector with 2 wires looks like brush connector? Has a 7 digit phone number on it-they went abt 20 yrs ago here in Perth? Prob when mobiles came out. It's old as..... side shrouds missing from alt body, and alt fan chamber holed--things, inc regulator, could have go very hot. I doubt its a cheap model using the base common parts but without all the features of the better/bigger ones just to fill in the "toy user" market. It does not have a 12V o/p.
Honda ought to be able to provide a service manual that will include the circuit diagram. I don't think that any of the Honda models were cheap, so if the engine can be made to run then you can check that the windings produce voltage. That may tell you if it is worthwhile to spend any money on it.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
You need to fit new brushes and holder, but before you connect the wires, flash 12 Volts from a battery across them to put some residual magnetism in the rotor. It is not uncommon for the rotor to lose the tiny amount that is needed for it to start generating.
You will find that a lot of the Chinese copies use identical parts at a fraction of the cost. even down to things like the cylinder head! We had one that had dropped a valve and the flywheel energy had enabled the piston to ram the valvestem completely through the combustion chamber.
As we had an identical Chinese copy that had been in a fire, I took the head off, and it even had the same numbers cast into it as the genuine Honda one. I fitted it and that generator is still going strong on my friends farm 5 years on!

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You will find that a lot of the Chinese copies use identical parts at a fraction of the cost. even down to things like the cylinder head!
I don't think the UK has Harbor Freight, but they sell one of the Honda overhead valve engine clones, and they are the same way parts interchange. And a new motor is only $99, much cheaper than a new Honda.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Judging by the aparent age of it, I'd say it pre-dates clones-but thx, I'll check for cheap shrouds/brush holder. Suspect rings gummed up. no loose carbon in exhaust, so perhaps ok. v poor compression when turned by hand. Has spark. Will try to pick up and take outside to test run it. Wainting on quote from dealer to see what it might cost.

Edit#1
The workshop manual dates from1992--I doubt it still has any support. I think I'll quit before I put money/time into it. Only a few online parts avail. predates internet, so not expecting much.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Judging by the aparent age of it, I'd say it pre-dates clones-but thx, I'll check for cheap shrouds/brush holder. Suspect rings gummed up. no loose carbon in exhaust, so perhaps ok. v poor compression when turned by hand. Has spark. Will try to pick up and take outside to test run it. Wainting on quote from dealer to see what it might cost.

Edit#1
The workshop manual dates from1992--I doubt it still has any support. I think I'll quit before I put money/time into it. Only a few online parts avail. predates internet, so not expecting much.
Before giving up you should investigate. But if nothing is available then sell it on ebay or the Craig's list, and recover your investment.

Poor old sod

Joined Jul 25, 2017
one critical part nla. brusholder comp nearly $120 ex japan- so no fix. Will remove alternator and replace with 12V 1KW car alternator and inverter to 240V 50Hz. Tapered shaft is minor problem. Will hand genset to youth program to strip it down for experience, as I suspect the rings are gummed up/have lost tension. It's a bit heavy for them ~30kg and atm I lack the tools to remove alternator end cap, field and rotor to lighten it for now.