Homemade light bulb

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
For some reason, the thread about making a DIY Room Heater reminded me of something.

When I was very young (pre-teen) I used to make my own light bulbs from jelly jars.

I punched two holes in the lid with a large common nail, inserted two lengths of doorbell wire (my only source of wire in the early 60s) and sealed the holes with putty.

Between the inside ends of the wire, I attached a length of magnet wire (from an old broken doorbell.

Then, before screwing on the lid, I put a cotton ball soaked in alcohol. I would light it, and screw on the top. I figured this would take out the oxygen.

I then attached a 6V battery. The magnet wire would briefly glow bright and then settle down to a soft glow that lasted for several minutes.

Science was fun!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You could see and smell them sputter too. Sniffing ozone. Goggles anyone.

And the whiff of coal in the air.

Edit.....now days they worry about a picogram of Hg.

Edit.....Edit.....the last I struck an arc was aboard ship. Not for light or work......I cut up scrape.....I liked the sound.

Edit...Edit...Edit....this was before star wars.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Home brew light bulbs were ever popular at science fairs when I was a kid. Slick trick with the cotton ball and alcohol to remove oxygen. When I was a kid I grew up with Vacuum Tubes or for those across the pond Valves. People would look at tubes and claim the tube was "burned up" when they would see the Getter Flash Spot. The Getter was the equivalent of your cotton ball and alcohol.

Ron