Homemade CNC milling machine

ben25

Joined Mar 21, 2024
Hi guys,
I would like to buy a CNC milling machine, but the small milling machines that are on the market are too small for me, which is why I am aiming to build one myself. Inspired by various YouTube videos, I have now put my thoughts together roughly and am now looking for the individual components. Basically, I would like to recreate the milling machine from "Ingo's Tips", although I would like to solve a few details differently and enlarge the work area a little. Only wood should be milled, small crafts etc...
The base plate on which the entire construct is mounted should measure 1200x900mm; The longer axis should have two motors and generally I would like to install the more powerful 1605 KUS and NEMA 23 stepper motors.
Now I'm looking for a suitable spindle; I'm not sure about the spindle used by Ingo, on the one hand it can't accommodate 8 mm cutters, on the other hand I've also read a lot about Kress spindles. What is unclear to me is how a Kress spindle would be connected or whether it is a disadvantage if the speed cannot be controlled via the computer. Chinese spindle with FU is more complicated to set up, but I could manage it together with someone who is electrically competent.
Now the question arises for me: Kress spindle with 1050W or Air-cooled Chinese spindle with 1.5kW or 2.2kW? Or something completely different in a similar price range?
I look forward to your recommendations and assessments.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

I made a DIY CNC milling machine that is slightly smaller than yours. Mine is 1000 x 600 mm. Actual travel is reduced to about 700 x 400 mm.

It is posted here:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/building-a-cnc-machine.176833/

There are many obstacles in the design and build along the way that have to be tackled one at a time. I can post more photos of these areas.

The spindle motor I selected is a 48V 500W with ER16 collet. It was purchased as a complete kit with motor, power supply, clamp, controller, and set of collets. The things to watch out for, make sure that the power supply matches your AC line power voltage and frequency. More importantly, make sure that the mounting holes on the motor clamp matches the Z-axis slide.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi guys,
I would like to buy a CNC milling machine, but the small milling machines that are on the market are too small for me,
I look forward to your recommendations and assessments.
Is this to be a the XY table type? Or milling M/C axis version.