High Emitter-Base Breakdown (PNP) ?

clark.donaldson

Joined Aug 19, 2019
Hi there -
I am looking for an easily-available PNP Chopper transistor with a high Emitter-Base Breakdown (somewhere around 15v-30v, preferably), for a circuit.
Since I am unfamiliar with transistor sourcing, I'm not exactly sure where to search by this particular spec. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

clark.donaldson

Joined Aug 19, 2019
Well, BJTs would be preferred because speed is a factor.

Is this a strange request? I don't know much about these things, maybe you can explain why.

Part of the question is just asking for recommendations re: cross-referencing/substituting transistors.

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
Hi there -
I am looking for an easily-available PNP Chopper transistor with a high Emitter-Base Breakdown (somewhere around 15v-30v, preferably), for a circuit.
Since I am unfamiliar with transistor sourcing, I'm not exactly sure where to search by this particular spec. Does anyone here have any recommendations?
Searching Mouser.com and Digikey.com I found the 2N2946A with a 40V Vbe breakdown rating, made by Microsemi/Microchip. However, neither distributor stocks the parts (but they can get them). Try a Web search for 2N2946a. Expensive.
@clark.donaldson
Update: If you don't need 40V, take a look at 2N2945A; Mouser.com has some of those in stock.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Well, BJTs would be preferred because speed is a factor.

Is this a strange request? I don't know much about these things, maybe you can explain why.

Part of the question is just asking for recommendations re: cross-referencing/substituting transistors.

Usually you do something different like use a reverse base emitter diode to protect the junction. You might then be able to alter the circuit slightly to work with that mod. If you show the circuit we can all help more.