help with toner transfer to board

Smothers1690

Joined Aug 11, 2017
I'm new to making boards and am having trouble getting toner to transfer to from my printout to the copper clad board. I've made sure the board is clean with sand paper and acetone, and am printing onto glossy photo paper. I then iron (on high) for about 10 mins with me putting most of my weight onto it and it just does not stick. nothing is sticking to the board. Im not sure if the paper im using is wrong, wrong printer,heat is not high enough, not enough pressure? Any tips ? Im using a cannon 2920 inkjet printer BTW. Im thinking about possibly trying the cold toner transer http://www.instructables.com/id/Heatless-cold-Toner-Transfer-for-PCB-Making/
anyone had success with this method?

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Wrong printer. You need to use a laser printer. Inkjet ink won't work for toner transfer. The toner ( hence toner transfer ) of a laser printer isn't ink, it's very fine powdered plastic. The iron on method actually melts the toner onto the pcb.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
To be clear, you are attempting a toner transfer process inkjet printers do not print with toner, they print with ink. Photocopiers and laser printers print with toner.

Smothers1690

Joined Aug 11, 2017
Thanks a lot guys. Had a fedex shipping/printing store print me out 10 copies on glossy paper for $2.50. Came out super dark and transferred to my pcb very nicely. I thought you needed the laser printer and I have one at work but didn't have the glossy paper on Friday so I came home and tried it on the inkjet. I tried googling it and I thought I found some people saying they used inkjet with no problems. Either way I know better now. Thanks for the help