Help with second speaker on TV for hearing impaired

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Hi, please move post if this is not the best category.
I am helping someone where they need a second TV speaker close to them that can be controlled by remote control. The remote control feature would enable the volume to be adjusted so they don't need a wire across the floor or dangling from something or from the speaker...hope this makes sense.

The TV (Samsung) has enough volume for the husband but not for the wife. The TV has an analog "audio out" 3.5mm jack which I would use to send to
a "control" device such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-9V-I...BBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

This apparently would need a small ? (5 watt?) power amp to connect to which would be connected to the additional speaker. I need help with proper connection and selection of the amplifier to match the control unit. There are questions I have about the Ebay item but next to impossible getting an understandable response from the seller. Just to be clear, there would be a wire from the extra amp to the speaker itself but a remote hand unit would handle the volume and on/off of the sound.

Any suggestions appreciated... or if I have not been clear let me know.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Any suggestions appreciated
For only $13.45 I would give it a try, looks decent to me if this will meet your needs. Questions: how close to the person will this extra speaker need to be? What about a set of used computer speakers for the amp?
SG

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The problem with headphone sockets is , as soon as you plug the jack in it cuts off the internal speakers, unless there is an option in the settings or a phono out socket to use.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So really the TS is seeking a wireless extension speaker That does make sense and it may be sort of simple. But now a question: Is the headphone jack stereo or mono? Is the TV stereo? Does it have other connectors with outputs?
My suggestions: First, plug in a set of earphones and see if the TV speaker switches off when you do. Also see if both headphones have the same sound, is it stereo or mono? That matters because if it is then the two channels must not get directly connected to each other, And plugging in a mono-plug will short circuit the one channel. Either way most extension transmitters are monophonic no matter what the label claims.
OR, get a wireless baby monitor, and put the transmitter near the speakers and the wife can adjust the listening volume on the receiver end, no remote control needed.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
MY TV has a fiber optics audio output. Mine is connected to a sound bar. A similar arrangement can be set up whereby the fiber optic audio source can play into a BT transmitter. Then a user with headphones can pair with the BTT and control their own volume. That's MY TV. I think I've seen a lot of FO Audio sources on modern TV's.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Here's one where TWO people can have BT headphones. If the headphones controls their own volume - voila! And it can work with different audio sources. Doesn't need to be strictly FO.

[edit] after reading some reviews I've seen some complaints when two headphones are paired to the unit. The issue is lip syncing. A person's mouth moves, then after a brief delay you hear the audio. Like watching Godzilla movies. But this is a starting point. I'm sure there are cheaper units that pair with a single set of headphones and may perform better. [end edit]

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have also seen a setup that had speakers installed in the "wings" of the arm-chair for the one HOH person. that worked well in two directions, first, that person could hear just by sitting there, and second, they could easily participate in other conversations just by leaning forward a small bit. Plus, others in the room could converse without bothering the TV viewing. A setup like that could be wired or wireless. And why hog up a blutooth channel wasting it on TV audio?? At my location most of the channels are are in use. There are also optical earphone systems available for that exact purpose.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
There are also optical earphone systems available for that exact purpose.
Possibly a good solution. However, and I've seen this, the cat sits in front of the IR transmitter and your headphones go quiet. Or the dog. Or another person blocks the IR signal. Still, when sitting watching TV, there's not a lot of people moving around. And the transmitter can be located above head height to avoid a lot of the problems with IR shadow's.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Possibly a good solution. However, and I've seen this, the cat sits in front of the IR transmitter and your headphones go quiet. Or the dog. Or another person blocks the IR signal. Still, when sitting watching TV, there's not a lot of people moving around. And the transmitter can be located above head height to avoid a lot of the problems with IR shadow's.
It is a simple matter to point the transmitter towards the ceiling so that the signal is reflected to the receiver. It is also possible to put the transmitter much higher so that it is not blocked.

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for the input from everyone. The customer now does not need the remote control function so just an amp to the
speaker near the "favorite chair" . I tested the 3.5mm audio out jack and it does NOT kill the internal speakers when something is pugged it there. The TV menu allows setting the internals to be off or on as desired.
So I think that makes my job much easier but thanks again for all the help offered!

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Guess I could use a little more help here..................I have this stereo audio output (analog 3.5mm jack) from the 46" Samsung TV.
I only want to drive a single extension speaker but would be good to have a combination of both stereo channels to send to the single speaker. I'm looking at this amp from Amazon and wondering how best to do this so I don't "short" the two channels but still have the full sound from the, either right or left, speaker. Thansks!
https://www.amazon.com/KINTER-MA170...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7P030H2CDXBA66CEV3DK

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Mix the two channels together at the input of a mono single channel amplifier, not at the outputs of a stereo amplifier.
The "mixer" is two 4.7k resistors, one from the TV left channel and the other from the right channel. Join the resistors together and feed the new mono amplifier.
Of course the audio ground from the TV's audio jack must connect to the new amplifier's input jack.

Last edited:

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Thanks however you are apparently thinking this is a "mono" amp but it is stereo input and, of course, two speaker output R&L.
Unless the link went to the wrong amp I would need to know the best way to wye together the two channels together and input them to either the R or L channel or both and select either the R or L speaker to use for the one channel out. Should be looking at
Kinter MA170+ 2-Channel

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You said, "I only want to drive a single extension speaker but would be good to have a combination of both stereo channels to send to the single speaker." You need TWO speakers spaced apart to produce stereo. You must add the two channels at the input of one amplifier to produce mono into a single speaker.
You are using only one channel of the stereo amplifier because nobody makes a mono amplifier anymore.

It is a cheap Chinese amplifier. I hope its hum and hiss are not too loud.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Here is an additional description of the solution described in post #16. Put a resistor in series with each of the ssignal leads from that 3.5mm connector, the tip and ring leads, usually red and white in the cable, and connect the other ends of the resistors to each other, and use that as the input to the one channel of the amplifier. That will combine the signals but not cause any problem with the TV output section.

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Thanks MisterBill2 for clarifying. You hit the nail on the head. Sorry, AudioGuru again, for my misunderstanding your earlier post.
When you started out with "Mix the two channels together at the input of a mono single channel amplifier ", I thought you assumed I was working with a mono amp when I linked the stereo unit I was planning on using. Anyway, my misunderstanding and mistake. I apologize for making such a big deal out of a basically simple situation. My intention was to be sure both channels of sound would be included in the output to the single speaker to be used.
Best regards to all.