help with profile delete

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... it is against my will to exist on this forum...
But it wasn't against your will to come here in the first place. YOU did that, and like all of us you must live with the consequences of your actions whether we like them or not. There is no "undo" button in real life and once you have left a mark, it cannot be erased. We cannot change the past. AAC is not in your future. Fine. Move on.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Professor found out I bet.
Despite her denials that the information I posted which was subsequently deleted was correct. It stayed up long enough for the bots to grab it. ;)

Incidentally, I'd like to know how linking to open source information can be seen as a posting of personal information in violation of TOS, especially where such information is publicly displayed on the site of a university.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Despite her denials that the information I posted which was subsequently deleted was correct. It stayed up long enough for the bots to grab it. ;)

Incidentally, I'd like to know how linking to open source information can be seen as a posting of personal information in violation of TOS, especially where such information is publicly displayed on the site of a university.
If I took your username and used it to look up your name via a ham operator directory (let's just assume that your username is your ham call sign for the sake of discussion) or some such and then followed that to your address, would you feel that posting that information here would be appropriate? Or is it possible that the fact that you have only indicated your location as "Earth" reflects a desire NOT to have that level of detail about you linked to you on this forum and that the forum should respect that?

Also, there is the issue of what if you were wrong. Would you appreciate it if someone posting pure tripe of this sort on some ham radio board was "outed" by someone who had concluded it was you and posted your picture and information asserting that the user was really you? Keep in mind that you may never see the post, but others that know you, now or in the future, might see it and make decisions about you that affect you. For instance, a potential employer might do a search on you and come across the post and decide that they aren't going to offer you the job as a result. They will, of course, never tell you about that post or that it was a factor in their decision.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009

And adding to what WBahn said, I find your specific move to be vengeful and in general of bad taste. That really wasn't necessary.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
If I took your username and used it to look up your name via a ham operator directory (let's just assume that your username is your ham call sign for the sake of discussion) or some such and then followed that to your address, would you feel that posting that information here would be appropriate? Or is it possible that the fact that you have only indicated your location as "Earth" reflects a desire NOT to have that level of detail about you linked to you on this forum and that the forum should respect that?

Also, there is the issue of what if you were wrong. Would you appreciate it if someone posting pure tripe of this sort on some ham radio board was "outed" by someone who had concluded it was you and posted your picture and information asserting that the user was really you? Keep in mind that you may never see the post, but others that know you, now or in the future, might see it and make decisions about you that affect you. For instance, a potential employer might do a search on you and come across the post and decide that they aren't going to offer you the job as a result. They will, of course, never tell you about that post or that it was a factor in their decision.
I considered all of those issues before I joined the site. My username is in fact my ham callsign and several members and at least one moderator on the few sites I'm on have acknowledged their awareness of this fact. I presume others have looked up the information but not mentioned it. Since the callsign lookup leads to two FCC licenses, a name and a mailing address that's a P.O. box, I have adequate protection for my purposes. The use of Earth as a location was to provide a thin veil of privacy, conforms to the fact that I'm not always here due to work travel and since I don't ask for sourcing help, does no harm in that regard.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
And adding to what WBahn said, I find your specific move to be vengeful and in general of bad taste. That really wasn't necessary.
I have zero tolerance for cheating so the original post which was not declared as homework tweaked my sense of indignation.

I didn't and still don't have any objection to the deletion of my post but was curious about the logic behind it so thank you Georacer and WBahn for the illumination.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have zero tolerance for cheating so the original post which was not declared as homework tweaked my sense of indignation.
Mine too. The attitude was pure "I'm entitled to demand someone else do my work for me and anyone that suggests otherwise is out of line." The really sad part is that I'm pretty sure you identified the person correctly (though that depends on how common that name is in that country, however the IP addresses mapped to that institution). For a faculty member (in EE) to not be able to work a problem like that and then to cop that kind of attitude, makes you really wonder what the quality of education is at that institution and in that country.

I didn't and still don't have any objection to the deletion of my post but was curious about the logic behind it so thank you Georacer and WBahn for the illumination.
You are more than welcome.