Help with High Power LED Driver circuit for Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhyaks

Joined Jun 19, 2014
I'm Dhyaksa from Indonesia,
Last week i get some High power LED (XML-T6 Series) emitter from my friend and i want to make some LED Driver circuit for these High Power LED.
Specs :
~3.7 - 4.2V
3A Max. Current

I still confusing about PWM circuit and because of limited component to make D.I.Y LED driver, i decide to make the driver from Adjustable regulator and Power transistor, (Attachment added)(sorry for my bad drawing from corel).

But the problem is : when i adjusting the regulator circuit without any load (LED) it can show 3,7V or 11,2V (for 3 Leds in series). but when i connected to load, voltage just drop too much and the current just show on 0.26A only, can anybody give me a suggestion for my project?
The Source is from VLRA Battery specs 12V / 10A.

or anybody can give a better circuit suggestion for efficient and durable High Power LED Driver.
Many thanks.

Dhyaksa.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your circuit is more like a constant-voltage power supply; to drive leds, you should use a constant-current circuit. I will be surprised if you didn't ruin the LEDs.

Read this Instructable. Come back if you have questions..

Last edited:

dhyaks

Joined Jun 19, 2014
Your circuit is more like a constant-voltage power supply; to drive leds, you should use a constant-current circuit. I will be surprised if you didn't ruin the LEDs.

Read this Instructable. Come back if you have questions..
thank you for correcting my circuit, so i just make a constant current circuit to drive the High power led right? how about the diagram? i mean the constant current circuit is connected series with the led? like :
Power Source ---> Constant Current Circuit ---> LED ---> Ground.

and do you have any suggestion schematic either? i can't fully understand about these site you have been shown :confused:

thanks MikeML.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus