Help with diode voltage problem

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What reference? I don't see any kind of reference in that circuit at all.

What is required in order to current to flow in a diode (under normal conditions -- not talking about breakdown or anything like that)?

Go back and study the very first lesson on diodes.

EYT1

Joined Apr 7, 2020
What reference? I don't see any kind of reference in that circuit at all.

What is required in order to current to flow in a diode (under normal conditions -- not talking about breakdown or anything like that)?

Go back and study the very first lesson on diodes.
Could this be a fraudulent question? is the current 0?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What would be fraudulent about the current being zero? Is that not a valid current?

Instead of asking others if your guess is right, try explaining your reasoning for coming up with that value. What is of value for you is not finding out what the answer to this or that problem is, but rather developing the ability to determine the answer on your own. That happens when you show and explain your work so that others can identify errors and weaknesses, as well as strengths, to help you develop that ability.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A wrong solution where?

Again, don't just throw out a number and ask others to tell you if it is correct or not. EXPLAIN how you arrived at that number. Sometimes it is very easy to get the correct answer but for the wrong reasons. If the only feedback you get is that the answer is correct, then you would erroneously conclude that the method you used to get the answer is a valid method.

Example: Kid is learning how to square numbers and is given the problem of finding 2². They say, 4, right? And are told that they are correct. So on the test the next day they have to find 3², 4², and 5² and they put 6, 8, and 10 and can't understand why they got a zero. After all, how they got the correct answer to 2² was doing 2+2.

EYT1

Joined Apr 7, 2020
A wrong solution where?

Again, don't just throw out a number and ask others to tell you if it is correct or not. EXPLAIN how you arrived at that number. Sometimes it is very easy to get the correct answer but for the wrong reasons. If the only feedback you get is that the answer is correct, then you would erroneously conclude that the method you used to get the answer is a valid method.

Example: Kid is learning how to square numbers and is given the problem of finding 2². They say, 4, right? And are told that they are correct. So on the test the next day they have to find 3², 4², and 5² and they put 6, 8, and 10 and can't understand why they got a zero. After all, how they got the correct answer to 2² was doing 2+2.
Si=0.7V Ge=0.3V

Since the germanium diode threshold is the lowest, I think the current will pass over it.

10V-0.3V=9.7V
9.7V/1000R=0.0097A =9.7mA

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Okay, that reasoning is valid.

Now what about the earlier problem that you started the thread with. Do you still think the current is zero and, if so, why? What about the output voltage?

EYT1

Joined Apr 7, 2020
Okay, that reasoning is valid.

Now what about the earlier problem that you started the thread with. Do you still think the current is zero and, if so, why? What about the output voltage?
are you talking about the first circuit

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
One of the circuits i see here looks like it involves reverse leakage currents not forward bias currents.
Just thought i would mention that.