Help with developing an intermittent circuit.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My pipe run will be close to 100 feet, with quite a few elbows, because of having to run the long way around the house. In this area the gas meters were in front of the house to make it simpler for the meter readers at the time. (1940's) And the generator set would be behind the house, both for shorter wiring and for assuring that it will remain in my possession, plus for appearances. As none of the system would be automated, the transfer scheme will not need automation either. Adding a second gas meter would be a real expense, based on our gas company. So that is not a consideration presently. And the fuel tank is adequate for quite a few hours of run time, so adding gas until the change is really not a big deal for me.
I see your point. My need here was sort of driven. I was real happy the East Ohio Gas Company covered the heavy cost. They used one of those machines that burrow all the way from street to up the driveway. They did bust out and replace some concrete. The rest was on me but easy. When I met my wife she was providing home care for her mother, a result of brain surgery which could have gone much better. Over the years I watched more and more medical equipment show up. Went from large O2 cylinders to a early version liquid oxygen system to a power hungry oxygen concentrator and we did have a few bottles in reserve for a power outage but with a long outage over 24 hours we were screwed. Then came the vent machine which did have a 20 min 12 volt backup, after that I would be yanking a battery out of one of the trucks. The suction machine for the trach tube and more and more stuff came in. I realized with any extended outage we were screwed. That is when I bought the first generator, a small 4 KW Coleman with an 8 HP Briggs and Stratton. I setup an outdoor pony station for connection. During some major home renovation after Kathy's mom past away I knew we were not as young as we were so I said screw it and went with the whole house system. We also rely on a few sump pumps during heavy rains. Next year that water will be rerouted. The city code had all my downspouts coming into the house so we could pump it back out into the storm sewer lines. Anyway it was apparent Kathy was not going to be able to drag out the genset, connect it and pull start it. Still have the little 4 KW which was a lifesaver when we got hit with a severe storm and the main genset failed after 11 years of service. Got it running and ran an extension cord down to the sump. So initially we were sort of driven by need for a generator and that little genset proved its worth many times over. :)

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see your point. My need here was sort of driven. I was real happy the East Ohio Gas Company covered the heavy cost. They used one of those machines that burrow all the way from street to up the driveway. They did bust out and replace some concrete. The rest was on me but easy. When I met my wife she was providing home care for her mother, a result of brain surgery which could have gone much better. Over the years I watched more and more medical equipment show up. Went from large O2 cylinders to a early version liquid oxygen system to a power hungry oxygen concentrator and we did have a few bottles in reserve for a power outage but with a long outage over 24 hours we were screwed. Then came the vent machine which did have a 20 min 12 volt backup, after that I would be yanking a battery out of one of the trucks. The suction machine for the trach tube and more and more stuff came in. I realized with any extended outage we were screwed. That is when I bought the first generator, a small 4 KW Coleman with an 8 HP Briggs and Stratton. I setup an outdoor pony station for connection. During some major home renovation after Kathy's mom past away I knew we were not as young as we were so I said screw it and went with the whole house system. We also rely on a few sump pumps during heavy rains. Next year that water will be rerouted. The city code had all my downspouts coming into the house so we could pump it back out into the storm sewer lines. Anyway it was apparent Kathy was not going to be able to drag out the genset, connect it and pull start it. Still have the little 4 KW which was a lifesaver when we got hit with a severe storm and the main genset failed after 11 years of service. Got it running and ran an extension cord down to the sump. So initially we were sort of driven by need for a generator and that little genset proved its worth many times over. :)

Ron
My present genset is a 5500 watt Coleman with the 3-fuel option. Small world indeed. I bought it from a friend who discovered it will not work on a gas grill hookup. But it runs great on gasoline, I think natural gas will be a bit quieter, I hope. Possibly cheaper as well. Never tried the propane mode, $20 for 4 hours does not make sense to me. Your situation was much more demanding than mine, and so your choice makes sense.