Help with board

Dolk

Joined Sep 24, 2007
I have this circuit board that I programmed a couple years back to do simon says, with leds and buttons. I want to re program it to do other things. Thing is I can't remember how to connect to it, and start programming.

I have 2 jumpers one ISP and the other RUN. I know you have to set the jumper to ISP in order to program it. After that I can't remember.

I have it hooked up to my computer via serial to usb cable.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We don't know what the board is. If you have the manual, that might be a big help. The manufacturer may also have the manual available online.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In addition to the information that beenthere has requested, can you supply us with a part number of the microcontroller?

hgmjr

Dolk

Joined Sep 24, 2007
No manual, no part number nothing. There is no standard way of just extracting the memory off a board no matter what it is?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The process would have to first clear the programmed memory , and then write the machine language code into it. There are probably control codes that would be needed to set up the board, and there might be some responses back from it. One big step would be to be able to read out the memory as it is right now.

This is an example of there being several ways to skin a cat. If the memory is an EEPROM, a programming voltage of either 12.5 votls or 21 volts in needed to do the writing/clearing. If it's an EPROM, several minutes exposure to UV will clear the old program, but then the new would have to be transfered. Even is it's flash memory, there is going to be a specific sequence of events to let new data be written to the memory, depending on the type of device used. Unless the board supports the timing requirement, just sending a file over probably won't have any effect.

Dolk

Joined Sep 24, 2007
Here is what is written on top of the memory and CPU

Memory1:
LTC1385CN
U91852

Memory2: made by Texas Instruments
41J287K
CD74HCT02E

CPU: Made by Philips
P89LPC932BA
CC8795
TIN0419G

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
My favorite source for data sheets is http://www.alldatasheet.com/. That said,

"Memory1" is actually a transceiver, probably for the serial communications.
"Memory2" is a NOR gate
and the CPU is an 8051 derivative, with Flash memory. If this is a commercial product, then there is an excellent chance that the security bit was set to prevent reading out the program, which means you are outta luck.

I suppose you've googled the game's name? Also try googling "gamename instructions" WITH the quotes.

--Rich

Dolk

Joined Sep 24, 2007
Well its not exactly commercial... it must have been professionally done or something.

I got the board through a University program. They used to have the information about the program online, but they must have taken it off, since i can't find the info anymore.