Help wiring external horn to 100v slave amp

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I have a 100v external horn which i've pictured below and also have a slave 100v amp which i've also pictured below. My sound input will go into Slave in RCA sockets. The External horn has Brown and Blue wires, where would I connect this to? I'm assuming the COM & 100V pins on the amp and leave out the middle 8ohm connection? If so which one will go to com and which to 100V? the horn also seems to have variable wattage, what should I set it to? The link to the amp is here

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
Hello,

You must indeed use the com and 100 V connections:

The amplifier can supply 60 Watts, so you can set any position on the horn, depending on the wanted volume.

Bertus
Thank you. I will try that out. Which is the COM and which is 100V on the horn? I have blue and brown wires on the horn

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the plan is for the amplifier to only drive the horn speaker and the sound level is controlled elsewhere, then the commion and 100V output terminals should be connected to the horn speaker input terminals, AND the switch on the horn speaker should be set to the 40W position. Wire color is not part of the discussion here, unless somehow speaker phasing is concerned.
What the wattage values show is the power that will be delivered to the speaker when the amplifier is delivering it's rated output power. Even 40 watts into a horn speaker will be very loud.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
If the horn speaker in near anybody then turn down its power switch to avoid deafening them.
The amplifier is rated at 60W and the speaker has a switch position for 40W so switch the speaker to 40W if it if far away from anybody.
If you turn up the amplifier's volume too high then its 60W might blow up the 40W speaker.

If you have only one speaker then connect the speaker's Brown wire to the amplifier's COM and connect the speaker's Blue wire to the amplifier's 100V.
If you have more than one speaker then set each speaker so that the total amplifier's load is not more than 60W and connect the same color wires of the speakers together.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In most situations the higher power rating is selected to avoid any possible overload condition during program peaks. But I have been in clubs where the ambient sound level approached 100dB. The case of the really obnoxious DJ, one could say.