Help to identify weird clock display

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey!:) -- I have some vintage test equipment (a DMM and a frequency counter) that use NIXIE display tubes:) --- Free to take at a swapfest - and they work!:):):)
It would be cool to get your favorite microcontroller, the fashionable Arduino:rolleyes:, and use it to generate signal frequencies that cause the Nixie frequency counter to display the correct time.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
why is so much of what remains from the 1970's adorned with wood grain???:confused:
1) People associated real wood with quality. Some of the real wood cabinet TVs I worked on were a two man job to move. The TV was still broken, but it was in a classy cabinet! The wood grain on plastic was a placebo.

2) The wrong color of plastic could develop a look like something the cat coughed up. Imagine a pure white or soft cream color that yellows with age. Make it dark brown so nobody will notice that it darkens with age, then paint it with a faux wood grain to make it seem familiar to people. They know it's really plastic, but it won't look like baby poop in 5 years.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
that and wood-grain!:eek::rolleyes: -- why is so much of what remains from the 1970's adorned with wood grain???:confused:
In the late 60 and into the 70's Many purchased a unit called a three way consisting of TV, Radio and Record player.
This was huge unit made from some solid exotic wood with a roller desk door on the front to hide the TV when not in use, when the TV eventually cashed out, many were reluctant to replace it with the later table top TV's so the old TV chassis was removed and a new TV was placed in the hole that was left.
Max.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for replies! I'm glad I wasn't having the hallucinations cuz HP emphatically said no such thing! Now I know better!:D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Aleph(0)
Clock looked like cheap piece of dreck would be at home in frowsey trailer park.

You speak or understand German?
Not really! It's just that they're routing my VPN connections through Europe until north American server back up to speed, I'm afraid it's not helping much:mad:!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not really! It's just that they're routing my VPN connections through Europe until north American server back up to speed, I'm afraid it's not helping much:mad:!
It's just possible that @boatsman 's inquiry owed to your manner of 'expletive management' -- as opposed your IP...;););)
I think @boatsman was referring to the possible Germanic origin of the following word that you used in your first post...

...thanks to Urban Dictionary, we now know you are more likely from Long Island than Germany...

image.jpg

I think @boatsman was referring to the possible Germanic origin of the following word that you used in your first post...

...thanks to Urban Dictionary, we now know you are more likely from Long Island than Germany...

View attachment 98386
Oh! Puleeze! Not the Urban Dictionary Vulgarian's Handbook!:eek::eek::eek::D

FWIW: I took @Aleph(0) 's use of 'frowsey' to be a variant (or abject misspelling) of 'frowzy/frowsty'???
The Online Etymology Dictionary said:
frowsty (adj.)
"having an unpleasant smell," 1865, of unknown origin; perhaps related to Old French frouste "ruinous, decayed," or to Old English þroh "rancid;" both of which also are of uncertain origin. Also compare frowzy.
On the other hand 'Dreck' (politely) translated from the German = 'Soil' --- What say you
@Aleph(0) ???:D:D:D

Best regards
HP:)