Help Please with circuit repair (boat auto-pilot, TR-1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Peacock

Joined Aug 11, 2012
U need to find the left turn driver tht couples to the H bridge gate.

If the rght turn works and the left turn traces were fried then it is possible tht the driver might be fried too
The driver is a dual and controls both sides, it is an MIC5016bwm. But before I start farting with a 16pin replacement, I'll check the other transistor. That's why I'm asking about the circuit I posted and which transistor is a 'teammate' of the one I replaced ( Q9 ).

Don

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Can you tell me which transistors are working together in this H-bridge?

What I'm really looking for is which transistor is on at the same time as Q9, since the autopilot is behaving exactly the same now as when Q9 was blown up ( prior to me replacing Q9). I'm thinking that it's teammate might also be broken, but without any visual signs.

Thanks,
Don
Ok Don can you have a look at the track at the top of this photo. Is it connected to + or - or one of the motor terminals ? It is possible it may be connected through a Low Ohm High Watt resistor.
I did warn you very early in this thread that it was very likely that you had two damaged transistors. Currents always keep going until they complete a circuit.

Attachments

AJ Peacock

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Ok Don can you have a look at the track at the top of this photo. Is it connected to + or - or one of the motor terminals ? It is possible it may be connected through a Low Ohm High Watt resistor.
I did warn you very early in this thread that it was very likely that you had two damaged transistors. Currents always keep going until they complete a circuit.
If you look at the picture on post #37 of this thread.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/c...acock_photos/AutoPilot-circuit/Backlight1.jpg

Lower right corner, the small rectangular component above the blue capacitor has markings 33 20v on it. The trace you asked about, connects to that component, the big blue capacitor and the L2 resistor, then over to the fuse area (where the power comes from ).

Thanks,
Don

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
OK so you are saying this is connected to +

Then the tracks 1 & 2 labelled in red in the attached photo will be going to the two motor terminals labelled Black & Orange on the pic on post 37. Can you check for continuity on the board to verify this.

If so the paired transistors are diagonally opposite one another like an X

i.e top left & bottom right in attached photo are on together in one direction and top right and bottom left in the other direction

Attachments

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
If the picture posted by you is correct, I tend to agree with cork ie that the paired transistors are connected diagonally like an "X". Q9 would pair with Q12 while Q10 pair with Q11.

Allen

Attachments

Last edited:

AJ Peacock

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Thanks guys,

I have a finer point for my soldering station, some de-solder braid and flux on order.

Should have it all by the end of the week and then I'll swap the other transistor and give it a shot.

Thanks again,
Don

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I thought I did not made my self clear in getting some braid and all tht to clear out the solder...!

Was it the way I said it ?

AJ Peacock

Joined Aug 11, 2012
I thought I did not made my self clear in getting some braid and all tht to clear out the solder...!

Was it the way I said it ?
I understood what you said, I took your advice and ordered some (after I spent 3 days looking for the roll I bought for another project a couple years ago).

Now that I might be ripping all the components off the secondary board and testing/replacing more than just a single component, I needed to get a finer tip for my soldering station, especially if I need to replace an IC.

Don

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Without the auto-pilot or the auto-pilot malfunction functioned again during the trip. Hope the GPS and communication system are working...... :D:p

Allen

George Horn

Joined Jun 10, 2015
its a shame he never came back with feedback. i also have a tr1 that is starting to act up. it acts erratically under 60 degrees. once it warms itself up its just fine. ive taken to putting a heating pad on it on cold mornings just so it doesnt beat itself to death. what would make it do this? i am loathe to tear it apart until after the season so ill probably be back in the fall. meantime, who knows? maybe the original poster will get notified and chime in.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Don't hold your breath!

They make cooling spray that can be useful for localizing a temperature-related problem. Make the board warm enough to work, then spray to cool different components and see which one, or which area of the circuit board, causes a problem.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Necroposting, revival of a dead thread, is not allowed on AAC. You would normally need to open a new thread, and reference the previous thread if it really pertained using a link.

Which brings us to a second problem. We are process of changing the rules here, but we did not allow discussion of transportation vehicles. This could change, it might not, it is very much in the air at the moment.

Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.