HELP! Please! 3 Phase Wiring!

Jonathan Seale

Joined Jul 10, 2016
I've built a double 3 phase generator, but I lack the knowledge of how to wire it up. I basically have 3 pairs of wires that each produce voltage/current, but how do I combine them to create the most power? The previous one I built was wired to convert my AC current to DC current, but I want to keep it at AC current so that I can experiment with using it to power an induction heater. Can someone with experience please help me on this endeavor? It will be most appreciated!
Thank you,
Jon

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
(Much) more info needed on the type of generator and also how you intend to excite it and regulate it, i.e. nature of the field?
A H.F. heating application requires a constant frequency.
Max.

Jonathan Seale

Joined Jul 10, 2016
(Much) more info needed on the type of generator and also how you intend to excite it and regulate it, i.e. nature of the field?
Max.
Well, right now it is wild AC. What I ultimately want to know is if I can use a wild ac generator (from my stream) as an induction coil heater application.

Jonathan Seale

Joined Jul 10, 2016
Max.
Do you think it's better/easier to rectify it to DC so I can charge a battery and then run the induction heater off the battery?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, right now it is wild AC. What I ultimately want to know is if I can use a wild ac generator (from my stream) as an induction coil heater application.
Not likely. The usual frequencies for an induction heater are faster than any mechanical generator can turn.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not likely. The usual frequencies for an induction heater are faster than any mechanical generator can turn.
Although there are a few exceptions, I helped install a HF heating unit for very large iron plates used in railroad equipment and this utilized the mains frequency for the induction due to the mass being heated.;)
But most cases are much higher frequency.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you think it's better/easier to rectify it to DC so I can charge a battery and then run the induction heater off the battery?
You need to give details of your generator and how you have set it up, if presently working.
As previously mentioned, if using the AC you would need to control the rpm, (Frequency).
Max.