Help! No power in the house all circuit breakers low voltage

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
Hello!

Yesterday we tested our back up whole house generator and all was well till we shut it down! We can’t get utility power back on. Tested all circuit breakers inside and outside house, all reading low voltage up to 78. Most outlets reading up to 40’s but One Outlet below is reading 178. Anything we are missing? We also removed generator connections from the house and still noting.
 

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
11,871
Welcome to AAC!

How to you switch from generator to utility power? Is it manual or automatic? I'd look at a bad circuit breaker/switch related to the switch over.
 

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
Welcome to AAC!

How to you switch from generator to utility power? Is it manual or automatic? I'd look at a bad circuit breaker/switch related to the switch over.
Automatic transfer switch. It did transfer when we turned off generator breaker off and turned utility on but when we turned off main generator. The power went out.
 

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
11,871
I'd turn off the main breaker to your distribution panel and check transfer switch continuity. Make sure you read no voltage before trying to check anything.
 

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
I'd turn off the main breaker to your distribution panel and check transfer switch continuity. Make sure you read no voltage before trying to check anything.
Checked voltage of transfer switch and got around 40 when breaker is off and around 80 when on. But the test light doesn’t turn on.
 

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
11,871
Be careful if you're not sure of what you're doing.

Since the problem started with the switch over from the generator, the most logical things to check are those things related to the switch over.

I don't know how your transfer switch is set up. I have a manual switch that switches between my generator and a 60A breaker in my main panel. The generator only runs things connected to the generator panel which is completely separate from the main panel.

A block diagram of how things are connected might be useful.

I found out that the electricians who wired my transfer switch didn't do it correctly. The first time I used it after my remodel, I was back energizing the power line because of their screw up. Fortunately, I noticed it quickly and opened the main breaker. Then I wired the transfer switch correctly.
 

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
7FC6ACB1-DBC8-4AA9-A2B3-C4FB56264CA8.jpeg
Be careful if you're not sure of what you're doing.

Since the problem started with the switch over from the generator, the most logical things to check are those things related to the switch over.

I don't know how your transfer switch is set up. I have a manual switch that switches between my generator and a 60A breaker in my main panel. The generator only runs things connected to the generator panel which is completely separate from the main panel.

A block diagram of how things are connected might be useful.

I found out that the electricians who wired my transfer switch didn't do it correctly. The first time I used it after my remodel, I was back energizing the power line because of their screw up. Fortunately, I noticed it quickly and opened the main breaker. Then I wired the transfer switch correctly.
Thank you! I called an electrician. Bec when we turned on the generator this time, something sparked inside the switch panel and light was blinking. Didn’t touch anything but check on voltage. Was hoping if something was tripped maybe if we start the generator again it will trip back :(
 

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
Be careful if you're not sure of what you're doing.

Since the problem started with the switch over from the generator, the most logical things to check are those things related to the switch over.

I don't know how your transfer switch is set up. I have a manual switch that switches between my generator and a 60A breaker in my main panel. The generator only runs things connected to the generator panel which is completely separate from the main panel.

A block diagram of how things are connected might be useful.

I found out that the electricians who wired my transfer switch didn't do it correctly. The first time I used it after my remodel, I was back energizing the power line because of their screw up. Fortunately, I noticed it quickly and opened the main breaker. Then I wired the transfer switch correctly.
I hope you can tell me if is it possible to disable to transfer switch to get the utility turned back on? I can worry later on with replacing the box. Would really just want power back on and start filling water in case we lose power before the hurricane comes tonight I appreciate all your help.
Maysie
 

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
11,871
I hope you can tell me if is it possible to disable to transfer switch to get the utility turned back on?
That's not something you want to jury-rig unless you're qualified. Wait for the electrician.

I was going to caution you to disable autostart if you have it. You don't want it starting up when you expected it to be off.
 

Thread Starter

Maysie

Joined Sep 13, 2018
13
That's not something you want to jury-rig unless you're qualified. Wait for the electrician.

I was going to caution you to disable autostart if you have it. You don't want it starting up when you expected it to be off.
Thank you! Yes we are waiting for technician and was going to tell him to disable if that is possible.

We will check the switch of auto
 

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
11,871
Would really just want power back on and start filling water in case we lose power before the hurricane comes tonight
I heard on the news that some communities were going to turn off water before the hurricane hit.

Being on well water, I have a water storage tank and can refill if I can run my generator. The well water is too acidic for us to want to drink, so we usually have 5-20 gallons of bottled water for drinking.
 

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
118
Is that negative lead being touched to the inside of the breaker panel? Is it painted inside? Bottom and edge look like grey paint. Might have full voltage there and not know it.
 
Top