help needed ? :(

faustVII

Joined Oct 12, 2011
hi all,

i got a GUI vb program which sends 10 bits of data via a rs232 to the z8 encore development kit. z8 schematics is attached. i would like to sent the info out to the expansion port B all bits [0-7] and port C bits 6 and 7. i didnt know how to implement the code. help will be appreciated

thanks

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I can understand somehow what you want to do. But not how. In order to do this. You must have some program running on the Z8. That can parse commands from the serial port. Do you have something like this. Also you can have up to 8 bytes payload then sending data using RS232. So you have to send two bytes in order to send 10 bits.

faustVII

Joined Oct 12, 2011
thank you for your reply. i don't have anything on z8 just yet. i have difficulty starting and how to use the z8. do i use the built in uart

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If your Z8 do have an onboard UART. You can use that. As I see from your schematics your board do have RS232 to TTL converter. So it should be compatible with RS232 signals level from a PC.

faustVII

Joined Oct 12, 2011
i'm having difficulty doing the code. im good understanding and modifying code but i can't start it can you help me with a template on the approach

thanks