Help needed Sony KV32XBR15

mm58

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Hello group, just joined the forum and need some help.

I have a Sony KV32XBR15 Trinitron CRT TV from 1990 that has sit idle for probably almost 15 years.

Upon powering it back up, I get a green vertical band stretching from top to bottom and the video. The OSD display appears fine on top of the green band. The entire video will then cycle on and off about avery five minutes.

I do not have a service manual or a schematic.

Upon visual inspection of the various boards, I did find one 1000uf electrolytic on the power supply slightly swollen. It was replaced but did not change the symptoms.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
It's a very poor picture, is the aerial and aerial cable OK?
Is it tuned to a suitable station?
I would suggest, get a decent picture, then pursue the green band.
Good luck..............

mm58

Joined Jan 5, 2023
It's a very poor picture, is the aerial and aerial cable OK?
Is it tuned to a suitable station?
I would suggest, get a decent picture, then pursue the green band.
Good luck..............
Yes it does receive a picture from my catv box, but with the green band.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you mean the large suction cap (Eht)on the tube neck, i use a long blade unshielded screwdriver with a crocodile clip lead, one end on the screwdriver and the other end on the crt ground which is usually wrapped around the edge.

With the tv turned off and the crocodile lead in place, push the screwdriver underneath the cap until it connects with the contact and you will hear a loud crack as it discharges , it's around 25Kv so keep it there for about a minute, don't put your fingers on the screwdriver blade.
The cap can then be removed by squeezing the terminal clip that goes into the tube neck.

Last edited:

mm58

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Thanks Dodgydave.

I got the anode cable off the CRT and was able to pull out the bottom board. Pic attached of the rear right corner (looking from rear) and there is obvious blackening in several areas and the small transformer at upper right in the pic doesn't look too good.

mm58

Joined Jan 5, 2023
Thanks Dodgydave.

I got the anode cable off the CRT and was able to pull out the bottom board. Pic attached of the rear right corner (looking from rear) and there is obvious blackening in several areas and the small transformer at upper right in the pic doesn't look too good.

Helps to attach the pic...

Attachments